Cold Thermal Bridging in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm about to start renovating a small ground floor bathroom. I've inspected the walls and discovered there may be two corners which are going to be subject to Cold/Thermal Bridging, which I've shown with blue dots on the diagram bellow.

Will this bridging be bad enough to justify doing something about it now while I have the place ripped apart? What are my options?

60mm insulated plaster board on top of the affected areas? This would loose much needed space in this already tiny bathroom!

Cutting break channels/breaks in walls, which would weaken the walls so would presume is a no go?

Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
The red/orange lines are engineering bricks

There is an 80mm cavity filled with rockwool between 2 of the walls, 1 is a solid brick Party Wall & 1 is solid brick gable end with a 2x2 timber stud wall & 50mm Kingspan between the batts.

Just noticed I messed up & have shown the double skin rockwool insulated wall with it's cavity open at the gable end, obviously this is actually closed by the gable end wall running across it. The rest of the diagram accurately shows how the various walls meet & probably thermally bridge the existing insulation.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more info.

The red/orange lines are engineering bricks

As asked in my first post , HOW THICK ARE THEY ?

Why is it difficult to get an answer to a simple question ?

Sponsored Links
As asked in my first post , HOW THICK ARE THEY ?

Why is it difficult to get an answer to a simple question ?

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here, and my guess would be approximately....................102.5mm.

"I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here, and my guess would be approximately....................102.5mm."

^ like he said ^

Oh, sorry, i only comment on thicknesses up to 87.35 mm

OK, splendid darling

Has anyone got any thoughts on the cold bridging, should I look into some internal insulation or will it not be that bad?

Cheers!

Yes there is slight potential for cold and damp bridging but nothing serious in my opinion. If you haven't had any damp or mould issues previously then I'd crack on without the insulation.

When renovating my own property, I discovered a similar situation between what was an original open back porch (being incorporated in a new kitchen) & an adjacent flat roof extension.

After scratching my head for a while about what to do about it, I eventually did nothing on the basis that it had been like that since built in 1968 without any problems. We’ve had no shows of damp ingress or condensation from the “cold corner” since the work was completed back in 2004.

Thanks for that guys! :D

Think I'll just leave it then, I've got more than enough work on at the house to be honest without messing on with this as well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back