Cold wall and insulation advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I hope I am posting this in the right place!

I have a small L shaped bathroom (ground floor) in a old building that has no wall cavity. I've had a damp inspection (two actually) which both concluded that the damp I'm getting around the toilet and on the wall next to it is not from the exterior or rising from the foundations.

I insulated the toilet cistern (on the inside) and all condensation has gone from that (great!). However I'm in two minds on the best, cheapest approach to dealing with the wall.
Obviously, the best approach would be to build a internal wall cavity via battens, then board and plaster / tile over it. That has been 100% successful in other rooms in the house. But I am wondering if following cheaper method exists and is it reliable...

The question(s):
  • Does a all-in-one bathroom wall insulation liner (flexible, not board) that doubles up with a tile effect exist on the market?
  • Would it be effective at reducing / minimising cold wall condensation?
  • or do you recommend a mixture of products to achieve the same result?

I could live with a strong reduction in condensation rather than a 100% match to the preferred method (noted above).

This method could apply to other areas of the house as well.

Cheers

Bonners

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Does a all-in-one bathroom wall insulation liner that doubles up with a tile effect exist on the market?

There is a product called/by Marmox. I have not used it, but it is insulation board with a tile backer attached (I think) - I was looking at it for my bathroom refurb (not started yet)

https://www.tilefixdirect.com/category/marmox-tile-backer-insulation-boards

You could also just fix insulation boards, then mechanically fix a tile backer over that through to the wall.

There is a product called/by Marmox. I have not used it, but it is insulation board with a tile backer attached (I think) - I was looking at it for my bathroom refurb (not started yet)

https://www.tilefixdirect.com/category/marmox-tile-backer-insulation-boards

You could also just fix insulation boards, then mechanically fix a tile backer over that through to the wall.

Thanks for your response, that is a good find thank you. Although I should have said (I just corrected my original post), that I'm after flexible liner rather than a board. But this is a good product for other work (or this job if I don't find the flexible liner). Cheers mate.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back