Cold water feed to shed - cannot easily bury deep near house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am running a cold water feed to my shed, about 10m from the house. The house already has a cold water tap on the outside, and I intend to plumb into it (keeping the tap for garden work) but having a permanent feed to the shed.

I am digging a trench to the required depth (~750mm) but within the last metre or so of the house there is hard concrete about 4 inches under the soil.

This means I cannot simply dig the 750mm trench up to the side of the house like I had hoped.

Presuming this is the foundation, it would be a tall order to cut a 750mm-deep notch into it. Is there another way?

The pipe is blue polypropylene; can I use an insulted jacket on it and then concrete it in to a smaller channel I could cut into the concrete for this last metre to the house? I could use an elbow to get it tight to the wall before angling upward toward the tap. This would need to be insulated anyway.

Any other possible solutions? Thanks in advance - Colin.

y4m1_CbTT9Lo2T1BzoUPwH2o07OxjkSypsvS6ptO2Cu7O_4LeJznD2f75I4cRwq9gYhzczG4k9ZRWc0Rr1TyEnW0_1P435eAiV8MJPZjiP7fQDv-ybQoGTHfc-m3bTdwA3LUvhrroSQ9gpUeO2qAZKG_LVzkHzb-HXCzntmzauZSYM

y4m90yr6FN3VlCnL5qOW94ZIqsb61n7DKi3Wzv-2_ieSYxij4meoUW7vfZjJQbs_hCsKM54umqJd1iU2NJcaWisjAXZO5LTt68jOA7RhBb3r3Yp5YvDzrJPyIh4tbCunw1oDbcvLbsVU6l2NKo52P4gZRMRI-dpGU8sx60jzALESOxxxyRO8X3gUD_Iaewo2njE

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
To comply with regulations, you would need to speak with your water undertaker and ask for a shallow lay. Also mdpe isn’t recommended for above ground connections.

Sponsored Links
To comply with regulations, you would need to speak with your water undertaker and ask for a shallow lay. Also mdpe isn’t recommended for above ground connections.
You can use the insuduct groundbreaker, I've used it for a water main that was forgotten on a new build so had to bring it up out of the ground and up the wall then through wall 6 inches above floor level.
They also use it for flats so can run up side of buildings in mdpe.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back