Cold water tank overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm getting a lot of water through the overflow pipe from my cold water loft tank each night. I've gone on youtube and watched the videos and it seems it will be a fault with the valve/ball.

Here's what i'm not sure about...

1. I've just been up in to the loft and found what I assume to be the stopcock which is about 2ft back from the tank on the pipe that feeds in - reasonable assumption?

2. I turned it fully closed and then depressed the arm on the valve which obviously opened the flow - for ages. I stopped before it did, will there be a large quantity of water sat in the pipe that needs to be drained off?

3. If this is the case should I drain some water out of the tank by running the cold water taps?

4. If i do manage to get the arm off and can't find a perished washer or ball full of water can I leave it off to take it up to b&q as long as the tap is closed?

5. Am I better off paying a plumber!

I'll be honest here and admit i'm by no measure a natural diy'er so please don't assume i'll know something basic - it's likely I won't.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Replace the ball cock, very cheap and simple to change.If you turn off the supply it should stop immediately.

I'm wondering if I closed the wrong tap then (only adjacent one I could see). There was still a foot or so of pipe that i'm assuming will still have water even though i've closed it off. Would you expect an inflow for a little while until that drains?

All you should get at most is the contents of the pipe past the stoptap, can sometimes be a few litres, but for a foot of pipe, and if it's still pouring in, then the supply isn't isolated. Don't attempt to undo anything until you are confident the supply is shut off! If you can put a photo up of the cistern and nearby pipework and valves that would help us identify what you're trying to do. ;)

Sponsored Links
I've just seen a second pipe that feeds in above the one I thought I was shutting off. I looks like it's going in to the airing cupboard?

Attachments

• IMG_0921.JPG
    IMG_0921.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0922.JPG
    IMG_0922.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0923.JPG
    IMG_0923.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 152
The tap i'm closing off is in the middle photo and the other pipe i've just spotted is the one at a right angle round the joist.

You'll have to strip back that white insulation from the ball valve connection, I'm afraid......from what I can see, the tap you have turned is feeding something else.
John :)

Thanks for the reply John.

I'm going to admit defeat and get a plumber in rather than blunder my way around.

Make sure you get a price first ! there are unscrupulous people about - and that job is so small that a lot of plumbers won't bother because they have more lucrative jobs.:notworthy: You could diy it with help from the forum here.

In any case get rid of the insulation, Mike - it'll have to be removed in any case.
If you get a plumber in, ask him to fit an isolator on that pipe for any future work.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back