Cold water Tank size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a completely newbie question but my house is on a direct feed from the mains (no cold water tank). I'm having some work done on the house soon which involves cutting a hole in the ceiling for better access to the loft space so I thought it might be worth chucking a cold water tank up their while I've got the chance. I'm not going to be able to afford to plumb it in in the foreseable future but at least it will be there when I can. The house is a small 2 bedroom semi-detatched bungalow. One bath, toilet, sink, kitchen sink, hot water tank and electric shower. What size of tank do I need?

Ta,

Retro

Sponsored Links
Lots of houses have no water tank. Why do you want one?

ChrisR said:
Lots of houses have no water tank. Why do you want one?

Its handy for when they dig the road up & go through a pipe.

Your loft may not be capable of taking the extra weight. (Water is heavy).
Are similar houses all on direct water?

I want one because my water pressure is rubbish! Can't have a shower if the washing machine's on can't run any cold water if the loo's just been flushed etc.

All of these houses (built in between in between the wars for Naval officers) have a direct feed, I do know that at least one of my neighbours has had a tank fitted.

Retro

Sponsored Links
You can fit a cistern as long as its properly supported and NOT on chipboard and have an indirect cylinder heated from your existing gas boiler.

Tony

Don't have gas yet. All electric. The house will more than likely have gas installed at some point.

Retro

retro said:
I want one because my water pressure is rubbish!

You probably won't notice any difference it being a bungalow.

You will have to raise the tank as high as you can on a sturdy platform.

I would investigate improving your cold mains pressure i.e new supply pipe, ensuring stoptap is fully open. :D

Well if you don't know exactly what you want it do do we can't advise, but 200 litres actual will probably do. More if you plan mega showers.
An accumulator might be a better solution. You need to measure and tell us your mains pressure and flow.

Bahco said:
retro said:
I want one because my water pressure is rubbish!

You probably won't notice any difference it being a bungalow.

You will have to raise the tank as high as you can on a sturdy platform.

I would investigate improving your cold mains pressure i.e new supply pipe, ensuring stoptap is fully open. :D

The mains pipe was replaced by the water board within the last 9 years. The stopcock is fully open. I only have the main water board one, no stopcock in the house :rolleyes:

Retro

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back