coloured concrete/cement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Following the completion of my recent patio project i now need to create run off from the patio to the drains, basically where i have cut slabs to fit round drains. The slabs are antique gold, kinda yellow york stone type
My question is how do i colour the cement in order for it to dry as near as yellow/gold as opposed to grey. ?

Sponsored Links
get some cement dye. you can get various colours including yellow from builders merchants or www.toolstation.com do a range.

you may have to experiment with a few batches to get the colour you want so try some trial ones first. measure the mixes with a small pot or gauging bucket to get the mix exactly the same and measure the amount of colourant you put in it.

Most dyes are very difficult to get a certain colour - even with small trial batches the bigger mix always comes out different.

In any case, the colour tends to fade quite quickly.

In addition, as the slabs weather, the difference in the dyed concrete and slab colour changes too.

I would try and cut slabs to suit, to minimise any need for concrete. For what concrete needs to be done, use a yellow sand (eg play pit sand) and possibly white cement.

Something I've always wondered , is there a secret to ensuring you don't stain your paving/bricks when using cement dye ? Obviously you take a lot of care but I thought there must be a "craftsmans knack"

Sponsored Links
The dye only works with cement, so you just need the same care as with normal concrete/mortar.

The dye on its own will not stain

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back