Column Footings on existing strip founds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Currently planning an extension. Have finally got the planning permission and have just had the engineers calcs back for the steelwork.

I have a question which without wanting to sound stupid going back to him, thought I would ask the people that may actually have experience in installing these things on site.

He has specified a post to support one end of a beam, indicated on the drawing circled in red (the other end is on a pier and padstone). The post is bolted against an existing wall, yet the engineer said it can be built into the wall to make it flush.

My question is however, how would this be achieved if the wall is existing and a pad footing has been specified for the column where an existing house strip foundation would be? Do the builder just break into the wall and existing foundation to install the new pad?

Column.PNG

Footing.PNG

Sponsored Links
Builders ignored drawings and specifying the column and instead just used the existing wall with a steel lintel to spread the load following updated calcs to BC.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back