Combi Boiler Drainage Problem - What Part Do I Need? *EASY!*

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

This has to be one of the simplest DIY problems known to man, but I can't find the part I need...

Basically, I have a combi boiler in my kitchen, which drains excess water via a piece of rubber tubing connected to a plastic drainpipe. Unfortunately, the drainage is such that water will often back up the pipe and in to the boiler (this usually happens when we use water more quickly than it can drain - any combination of having a shower/washing up/washing machine/central heating etc will cause water to enter the exhaust pipe). This, of course, means that the boiler fails, and needs drained and reset. It's a fiddle to empty the boiler cupboard and disconnect the tube from the drainage pipe in order to let the water out and reset it - not to mention messy as dirty boiler-water tends to get everywhere.

Life would be a lot easier if I could fit a T-shaped piece of piping with a valve to let off excess water when required. The problem is: I can't find one! I've looked on Screwfix and B&Q websites to no avail. I've attached a basic diagram of what I need, and hopefully somebody will be able to give me a model number, or at least a name, for the part I need - I'd be amazed if they don't exist!

This links to a basic diagram (don't laugh!) of what I plan to do:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87009538/Fitting.jpg

The letters correspond to the definitions below.

A: Excess water from boiler

B: Rubber tubing attached to the boiler. Diameter 2cm, stretched slightly to fit around plastic piping below.

C: Plastic piping attached to drainage system. Diameter 2cm.

D: Runoff valve. Would remain closed during normal operation of boiler - only opened when excess water needs drained.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Eddie

Sponsored Links
I would suggest getting your drains sorted, rather than bodging a temp repair.
Possible problems could be, partial blockage, too small, poorly installed.....

what do you mean by excess water ? a combi boiler does not produce "excess" water do you mean you have a condensing boiler and it is the condensate drain you are looking to configure ? what is the make and model of your boiler ?

Sponsored Links
I fitted a few on desperate ones (Vaillant) couple of winters back, they do the job, see ur point tho

Thanks everyone for helping out so quickly!

@Bunnyman
Yes! That looks like the thing I need... right diameter and everything. Cheers! I know there will be more elegant solutions, but I'm flat broke and can't afford to call someone out. I'll try unblocking first, and if that fails, this is my solution! Much appreciated!

@ianmcd
Again, thanks for indulging my airheaded attempts to explain this... Model: Ideal isar HE24, HE30 or HE35 (not sure which, manual covers all three and boiler doesn't say on fascia!) And yes, I think it's the condensate drain I'm talking about - not a lot comes out of it, but when it does it has what looks like little bits of grit in it.

Have a look! It's the black rubber tube and white plastic pipe.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87009538/20131123_144919.jpg

Not the easiest pipe to unblock as it's not only behind a fitted kitchen worktop and dishwasher but also behind the brass piping attached to the boiler. The adjacent kitchen sink drains no problem.

@ twgas

I think "poorly installed" is the one! I'll try rodding the drainpipe but it's going to be difficult to access. I'm worried using caustic soda might run back in to the boiler if it fails to unblock the drain and might ruin the boiler....

@ Dan Robinson

You mentioned that the bypass valve suggested by Bunnyman could be dangerous on my Isar boiler... I'm really keen on this solution as I can't see how it would be any worse than having the water back straight up in to the boiler. There's no pressure involved. Am I missing something?

Everyone - I appreciate you probably have better things to do than indulge me - I'm very grateful for the help! :)

@ Dan Robinson

You mentioned that the bypass valve suggested by Bunnyman could be dangerous on my Isar boiler... I'm really keen on this solution as I can't see how it would be any worse than having the water back straight up in to the boiler. There's no pressure involved. Am I missing something?

Fumes in your living space is worse than water in your Boiler!
I think that the Product mentioned is installed downstream of the trap anyway but regardless of that its meant as a temporary solution to a frozen condensate pipe not a permanent solution to a blocked one!
you need to get the drain unblocked

Matt

How did I know this was going to be about a shit boiler :?: :LOL:

Traps can be blown out. Especially stupid little ones in crap boilers like yours.

They can also evaporate.

Get the installation sorted properly. This is a safety issue as much as it is a convenience one.

Installed by a dick no doubt, filling loop not to regs and plastic connected on boiler, no wonder the condense drain dosnt work.
Them boiler bouys look like they can get you out off a situation but if customer does not use them correctly could be highly dangerous.

Just seem the picture of the install.

****uation normal for an Isar.

Not shocking. But totally crap. FFS, the installer couldn't even be a7sed to put a foot of copper on the hot.

Have you noticed the hw/cond clip! Looks like cond maybe leaking with that spot of rust,
Worrying thing is that its probs not warmfront job, the customer actually paid for it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back