Leaking joint in drainage pipe - What do I need to buy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a leak in a drainage pipe where it joins the main vertical soil pipe.

The leak comes whenever the sink or bath is used, because the pipe that carries the waste water towards the soil pipe has come loose. It has a soft rubber insert. I've tried to push it into the other pipe but after a day it came out again. I think it is too perished.

What part do i need to buy?

The other issue is that there is actually no slope at all on that drainage pipe. I guess moving that down is a bigger job as it means a new vertical soil pipe section?

Sponsored Links
It's a strap on boss. Looks like 50mm, but measure the waste pipe.

There doesn't need to be a fall on that section of pipe.

So... I went to my local plumber's merchant with the rubber boss insert to have it replaced.

He told me that boss joint was intended for cast iron pipes and that there was no point putting a new rubber insert on as it wouldn't fit tight.

My pipes are all plastic. Is there a different joint I can use? How would I then fit it? I've never done any guttering or drainage work before but would like to try it myself if the process isnt too tricky to get right?

Close up picture below:

Sponsored Links
The whole lot, i.e. all the small bore stuff, looks like a bodge to me. It couldn't have been done by a plumber, surely?

I am surprised the merchant guy did not just show you the correct part to use for plastic pipe.

They usually try to be helpful although sometimes their knowledge is a bit lacking.

Tony

Yes - the merchant's are usually really helpful. But this one wasn't. Probably it didn't help that I showed up 5 minutes before closing time...

Really what I'd like to do is fit a new rubber gasket anyway. Even though he told me you shouldnt on PVC, I've seen other fittings online that do use it for PVC.

I can see it was probably a bodge originally (as most things in this house we bought are), but if I can make it watertight for the time being that is good enough. We are doing more work on the house in a year or two so will likely replace those pipes anyway at that point.

The waste pipe diameter is 56mm. I've searched everywhere but can't find a boss that fits 110mm waste to a 56mm branch. Is there any other way I could seal it in without having to fit a whole new branch connector thing?

The 50mm is a nominal size, for example I think the outside diameter of 32mm solvent weld waste pipe is actually 36mm, etc. Ive never actually bothered to measure though.

If you go into a merchant within 10 min of closing time dont expect much help! Sometimes OK if they know you and you have telephoned in advance to give them time to get it out.

That gasket should be OK. Most merchants will have them if you take a print out of that link to them.

Best to put the 50 mm in first then the outer part second. If it seems a little tight then a little washing up liquid helps to lubricate it.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back