Gutter into soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, advice needed please.

We live in a 1700’s property which has a combined drainage system where all waste and surface water (guttering etc.) feeds into the same drain.

The outside pipe work is carnage and I’m trying to tidy up. We have a soil and a guttering down pipe that run (almost) parallel, but the guttering down pipe has a couple of tight, basically right angle, corners to work around the waste pipe and to avoid the bathroom window, and often gets blocked. Both pipes ultimately feed into the same drainage system, but the gutter down pipe just runs into a concrete gulley which runs onto the patio and into the drain from the kitchen waste (I told you it was a mess!). There is no way to get a vertical gutter down pipe down, so my question is could I feed the gutter straight into the side of the soil pipe? I know this isn’t ideal, but it seems the best solution to me!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There is no way to get a vertical gutter down pipe down, so my question is could I feed the gutter straight into the side of the soil pipe?

It's not ideal, as you really need the vent pipe to be clear of the eaves before it's open to atmosphere, there would be a risk of the drainage system venting via the rainwater outlet, under the eaves and into the loft space.

Can you get a photo of what's there currently, might be able to offer another workaround.

Thanks Hugh, picture attached.
63A88422-9854-44A9-9602-D148155E4C85.jpeg

Sponsored Links
That soil pipe, and where it vents at the very top, is very close to that window and if it was ever allowed - it would not be allowed now.

Thanks Hugh, picture attached.

Cheers, always speaks a 1000 words. You've a right lashup these, mix of materials and reducing of downpipe diameter wont help matters. What I'd do, is replace the rainwater downpipe, entirely with plastic, and use 4x Offset bends to make one smooth dogleg round the soil pipe. Unless there's large volumes of detritus going down it from the roof, it should then be unlikely to block.

As Exedon has pointed out, that soil pipe looks like Asbestos Cement, and whilst the vent position is not ideal, I wouldn't touch unless you're going to remove all of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back