Combi Boiler Drainage Problem - What Part Do I Need? *EASY!*

Eek! Sounds like nothing about the boiler is good news!

I know the boiler itself is ****... it sounds like it's going to explode every other time the burner kicks in, but that's another story for another day! I've been assured by several British Gas Homecare guys that it's not dangerous. They won't certify it safe, though, because it doesn't have an inspection hatch along the flue.

If you're wondering why I have a Homecare contract and didn't just call them out, it's because they don't deal with the plumbing connected to the boiler... just the actual unit itself. However, a couple of you looked at the picture I uploaded and said there are potential safety issues... this is obviously quite worrying! What should I mention to them next time they're round? I don't want my kids breathing in gas fumes!

Anyway, I'm not going to install a valve any more - it seems pretty obvious now that it's not recommended - and I'll do my best to sort the plumbing out. So please let me know specifically what safety issues we're dealing with (in layman's terms - I don't know which pipe is which!) and we can lay this thread to rest! Once again, thanks everyone!

Eddie

Sponsored Links
There isn't anything in the picture to cause panic stations, but you might mention that the condensate drain is part of the flue system next time a BG muppet rocks up.

Don't fancy your chances though,.

If the boiler is safe, they can certify it.

If it is unsafe they should turn it off.

If the flue is boxed in then the hatches are £20 each and a diy job.

The rules are easily found and followed.

If yours is the older Isar with a metal inner flue then it is very much worth doing.

Your home insurance might be invalid otherwise.

Righto! I'll put a couple of hatches in and see if they certify it then. Looks like I'm on my own unblocking the drain.. going to be a mission!

Thanks for all the help.

Eddie

Sponsored Links
Righto! I'll put a couple of hatches in and see if they certify it then. Looks like I'm on my own unblocking the drain.. going to be a mission!

Thanks for all the help.

Eddie

You are not on your own Eddie you could always get a professional in, sometimes it pays to you know!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back