Combi Boiler size - does it matter?

...My only remaining question is around the efficiency when the boiler has modulated down - whether it remains the same or not. ...
If anything, it gets better with a pre mix boiler ( band a )

Sponsored Links
6.6k all in. not sure where that puts me but it don't sound like a cheapo install.

For 6k for a central heating install, he should give you all the info you want and more, based on a top notch boiler.
What are you getting installed?

I never do full installs, just the odd changeover. Anyway, I itemise all components, including manufacturers. that way there is no misunderstanding, and when the client gets a "cheaper quote", he has something to compare to.

I wouldn't use a tradesman who wasn't prepared to be open about this type of stuff, after all, if you came here, and said you got ripped off, we'd say it was your fault for signing a blind contract.

Having said that, I never itemise by price.

Sponsored Links
6k with a bathroom is relativly cheap imho,you are justified in your questions

whats included is fitting central heating (7 rads + 3 towel rails), 3 bathrooms and boiler (WB 37cdi).
Price is ok - I didn't think it was cheap or expensive just in the area I expected. Problem is that I can't seem to find out exactly what I get for it.

b&q at those prices :eek: that is at the bottom end of cheap :rolleyes:

This is obviously far more interesting than discussion on boiler efficiency :).
What is included is install only 3 bathroom (1 bath/toilet/sink, 1 shower/toilet/sink, 1 toilet/sink). I supply all the taps and all bathroom units (toilet, etc)
Supply and install central heating with 7 rads, 3 towel rails and WB boiler.

This is obviously far more interesting than discussion on boiler efficiency :).

With the introduction of compulsory band A boilers, the difference in efficiency between the two ends of the scale has become negligible.

What is included is install only 3 bathroom (1 bath/toilet/sink, 1 shower/toilet/sink, 1 toilet/sink). I supply all the taps and all bathroom units (toilet, etc)
Supply and install central heating with 7 rads, 3 towel rails and WB boiler.
Whether the aforementioned amount is a good price for you or for him depends entirely on the situation on site; it definitely has the potential to end up being a very low profit job for the installer.

Bengasman - agreed. I am flexible in how I let people work and trust the workmanship and to let people get on with it in their own time. I do however insist on knowing what I am getting ahead of installation - it just avoids disappointment later on.
I can't compromise there but I don't want to constantly question everything which is why I thought I'd ask on here about boiler sizes etc.

The engineer is CHEAP , i would quote around 6-7k just for the central heating install , maybe another 5-6k for the plumbing works (excluding sanitary ware & brassware)

5kw/17k btu .............. it aint happening in the real world.
Visit any housing development currently under construction and take a look at the size of the boilers they are installing. I have seen four bed detached houses with two bathrooms which only have a 15kW boiler. The main reason for the size is the unvented cylinder, not the heat loss from the house. The 3-bed semis had 12kW boilers.

15k to do plumbing on a smallish 4 bed house?!?
Makes it sound like I am robbing the guy for giving him the job and then have a cheek to ask for breakdown. For close to 7k, I presume I should be grateful he's bothering to turn up? :)

Well you are really, poor chap probably works his conkers off only to have someone like you lording it over him, squeezing every bit of info you can out of him so he probably can't even tie his bootlaces by the end of a shift in your gaff...probably goes home after you have been cracking the whip over his head all day and too tired to even kiss his mrs goodnight , but she will already be asleep as it's the early hours by the time he crawls into his pit.....

All for the measly few quid he'll make from your job...

And you have the cheek to ask him to break it down, surprised you didn't push him over the edge to be honest...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back