Combi Boiler size - does it matter?

... The main reason for the size is the unvented cylinder, not the heat loss from the house...
Wrong again.
The main reason is that every penny counts and they don't give a toss what problems the buyer will have; profit is the only motivator.

Sponsored Links
I have seen four bed detached houses with two bathrooms which only have a 15kW boiler. The main reason for the size is the unvented cylinder, not the heat loss from the house. The 3-bed semis had 12kW boilers.

A little bigger than the 5 kw you were quoting. ;)

Just thought that I'd check back on this post again and it's a good job I did!
You don't just install the biggest boiler the customer can afford yet we must accept a modern HE boiler is very different kettle to the old coventional boiler (time to throw out your old myers calculator :D )

Don't get me wrong some interesting points have been made reguarding sizing of boilers.

But for replacement boilers in UK houses and flats we should now use "The Whole House Boiler Sizing Method" for boiler sizing.

Just did a quick google and this is the 1st one that I found.

http://www.wessexwoodboilers.co.uk/pdfs/359782525_boiler_size.pdf

Servotech,

...But for replacement boilers in UK houses and flats we should now use "The Whole House Boiler Sizing Method" for boiler sizing.
Bet the customer won't be impressed with the time it will take to run a bath with a combi based on this method. :D

Sponsored Links
Safety!
There are certain safety issues with a solid fuel boiler that the worksheet makes no allowances for.

Servotech,

So with regards to my question on here, this method of boiler sizing is irrelevant as I am getting a combi boiler.
In summary, combi boiler you need to work out flow rates you need. Regular boiler, you need to work out heat output.
Is that correct?

So with regards to my question on here, this method of boiler sizing is irrelevant as I am getting a combi boiler....

As boilers have a huge modulation range these days, sizing to the closest possible match has no other purpose than saving a few bob by getting the smaller model for non-combis. This does of course eliminated the possibility of increasing the demand in the future.
For combi boilers, it has always been utterly pointless, unless you have a huge heat demand, and you want to see if the boiler is strong enough.

A little bigger than the 5 kw you were quoting.
I know; but you are not comparing like for like.

The 5kW was for the heating only of a 3 bed mid-terrace house. While the 12kW and 15kW were for detached or semi-detached houses and included an allowance for the vented HW cylinder.

If you want true comparisons of the heat loss they are:

Mid-terrace - 4.94kW
Semi - 5.93kW
Detached - 6.81kW

The 5kW was for the heating only of a 3 bed mid-terrace house. While the 12kW and 15kW were for detached or semi-detached houses and included an allowance for the vented HW cylinder.

Mr Google strikes again: "allowance for dhw" :rolleyes:
The arrival of independent timers made the need for that allowance obsolete.

If you want true comparisons of the heat loss they are:

Mid-terrace - 4.94kW
Semi - 5.93kW
Detached - 6.81kW

Down to 0.01 kWatt accurate :rolleyes: ; how do I show that I am only talking about theories that I found on google, and never actually installed a boiler in a house in my life?

But for replacement boilers in UK houses and flats we should now use "The Whole House Boiler Sizing Method" for boiler sizing.

Just did a quick google and this is the 1st one that I found.

http://www.wessexwoodboilers.co.uk/pdfs/359782525_boiler_size.pdf[/QUOTE]

A more user-friendly one can be found at Boiler Size Calculator

I don't know where BenG gets the idea from that boilers have huge modulation ratios. 3 to 1 seems about the norm, though there are exceptions. For example: the Remeha 39C has a 5.5:1 ratio and Geminox make one with a 10:1 ratio.

But even if the boiler has a large modulation ratio, the lowest output will often be higher than that required. And if we take into account the fact that the boiler output is calculated on worst case conditions, so most of the time the boiler will be running well below the calculated output, fitting a boiler which modulates down to 12kW when the calculated is 10kW makes no sense at all. Most of the time the boiler will be putting out 5 or 6kW, which it can only do by running in on/off mode. Modulation wasn't invented so installers did not have to range-rate a boiler!

I could comfortably heat my house with a 5kW boiler, and it is detached. I dread to think how long a bath would take with a 5kW combi and a shower would be impossible. The old 27kW nominal (19kW output) combi I used to have was just about OK both for shower and bath and very few people would be happy with anything less powerful.

The modern trend for every more powerful hot water supplies with better insulated houses (plus low flow temperatures, weather compensation, and TRVs) means that combis frequently don't modulate down low enough. A 30kW combi might modulate to 6-8KW but typical heating needs 90% of the time will be less than half that. The 35+kW combis that are now almost the norm modulate to around 10kW which is way higher than most modern houses can use. Just have to deal with it, not the end of the world.

I could comfortably heat my house with a 5kW boiler, and it is detached.
At last, someone who does not have preconceived ideas!

I dread to think how long a bath would take with a 5kW combi and a shower would be impossible. The old 27kW nominal (19kW output) combi I used to have was just about OK both for shower and bath and very few people would be happy with anything less powerful.
I agree; but I was not suggesting a 5kw combi boiler.

The modern trend for every more powerful hot water supplies with better insulated houses (plus low flow temperatures, weather compensation, and TRVs) means that combis frequently don't modulate down low enough. A 30kW combi might modulate to 6-8KW but typical heating needs 90% of the time will be less than half that. The 35+kW combis that are now almost the norm modulate to around 10kW which is way higher than most modern houses can use.
Music to my ears! :D

Just have to deal with it, not the end of the world.
I assume you mean BenG and all the other Luddites who have not moved with the times. :LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back