Combi boilers, TVR's and room stat

My College tutor
Why ask him/her? Is he/she tutoring you on heating systems?

if all rad's had TVR's on them, and disabled the room stat
But that is NOT permitted under Building Regulations.

so that all the rad's worked directly on TVR's from the boiler then I would be ale to regulate each room much more efficiently, therefore [/i]it would save me money on heating[/i].
That means the boiler will run continuously even when the house is up to temperature. How does that save you money?

He also stated that i would need to change the temperature settings on the boiler for the heating as it can stay at 70 degrees
Presumably he means turn the boiler up in the inter and down in the summer.

I can then just change the TRV's in each room up or down dependent on the requirements.
TRVs' should be left to do their job, which is to maintain a constant temperature in a room.

The engineer has now added a TVR to the main rad in living area, and disconnected the room stat.
Did he inform you that this is NOT permitted?

The engineer explained that having all TRV's on the rad's, would cause me problems with the boiler over heating, and constantly being on in the summer.
So he did give you sensible advice, but you chose to ignore it!

I have also been informed that its better to have the boiler on all the time throughout the year, on low in the summer rather than having the boiler constantly turning its self on and off and having to re-ignite each time.
Nonsense! The boiler turns itself on automatically when the water temperature drops and turns off when the correct temperature has been reached. (Yes, other readers, I do know about the boiler modulating down, but that's complicating things too much for the OP. ;) )

Sponsored Links
You have received some replies and other info of an unhelpful nature.

It is a requirement that you have a room thermostat, and yours is in the best place. The issue here is radiator sizing and balancing. This needs to be done correctly. Your installer should have done this.

The system will work with TRVs on all rads plus a bypass, but it would be illegal and less efficient - which is why it is illegal. Your college lecturer should either know this, or shut up!

Stick a radio controlled stat in , do not bother fixing it to the wall & u can wander around the house with it , including the bath room !!

Sponsored Links
There used to be an expression along the lines of "those who can do it do it but those who cannot do it teach it"

I am surprised and rather disapointed that she decided to totally ignore the advice that I and some others have given! She apparently prefers to have it modified by people who should know better to create an illegal installation.

Tony

There used to be an expression along the lines of "those who can do it do it but those who cannot do it teach it"

Streotyping again are we? I wonder what our learned friend Chris has to say about this. There are plenty lecturers out there who know what they are talking about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back