Combi boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are changing over our existing gas boiler sysyem to a combi system. While we have been getting a number of quotes around the same price region, the types of boilers recommended are not. Those that have been recommended are Baxi, Vokera or Vaillant. But, the Baxi recommender said that both Vokera and Vaillant were useless and similarly for the Vaillant person. Is there really a difference between the boiler types or is it just because these people have a deal going with the dealers. Do you have any independent advice for the boiler type?

Sponsored Links
valiant and baxi are good, nottheard of the other one. Yes they are all saying the other is no good, Friend of mine has had 3 houses all with valiant boilers

We've got a Vaillant Combi boiler, had about a year and a half after the old one blew up!

I have heard lots of people say that combi boilers are a bit 'dodgy' on the reliability front but we haven't had a single problem with ours (touch wood!)

I've had a Vaillant before and it was fine. My parents had the same model and the heat exchanger went, but was under £200 to repair, not bad in 8 years use.

I'm currently looking to replace the boiler in our house, to rid ourslelves of the 40ys old! back boiler we inherited.

Can;t find this info anywhere, but we want to choose the quietest boiler we can, as it'll go in the airing cupboard in a bedroom.

Anyone know which boilers are the quietest?

Sponsored Links
depends on how quiet is "quiet"

I am told valiant are very good, My combi is in what was the airing cupboard (since there is no more hot water cylinder required) we do not notice it is there

We are thinking of getting a combi, but thought it would have to be on the outside wall to be vented (like our existing one). Are you saying that it can go inside, without being vented :?: If so, this would save space in the kitchen, as it could go in the airing cupboard like the above responses.

I need advice, 'cos those that come round are obviously selling, and do not appear to as independent as they perhaps could be.

sorry, i should have pointed out our airing cupboard does have an "outside wall" so yes you are correct that is how they vent

Cheers Breezer. That makes sense now you've pointed it out. You've saved me from looking stupid when I talk to the boiler people.
Thanks again. :D

I have a combi boiler [Ravenheat] which has been excellent for six years. [placed in a cupboard in living room and is very quite] but it has finally come to the point of replacing it for a new one, as the two plumbers I have had out to repair the leaks had trouble getting inside it . One says it's a heat exchanger or diaphram problem but it is difficult to get inside of it and he didn't have time to come back![water flow is now down to a trickle!]

I have heard that some plumbers/heating engineers don't like to repair combi boilers which puts me off getting another one, so did fleetingly think of getting two separate ones for water and heating, but as I no longer have a hot water tank [or the space] anymore this might be quite troblesome??

Having read some of the posts here I am going to have a look at the Valliant boilers. I supose in this day, 6 years for a boiler is average is it?
[Have to face the fact they don't last for 20 years or more these days.]

I am also thinking of looking into the British Gas maintainance scheme. [3 star] Does anyone have experience of this scheme. I am in an area where plumbers are hard to find [although seeing as I left messages on answer phones with a combi fault, they thought better of returning my call]

I'd appreciate your thoughts/experiences of combi boilers.
Thanks
sue

High Sue I am not a plumber or heating engineer, but it is true that some people will fit a combi boiler but not be able to repair it.

I have the british gas 3star plan you mention, only got it because our combi started to play up (and yes we too had trouble getting somone who knew what they were doing) British gas engineers fixed ours within 2 days ( the fact it went wrong again later is irelivant)

I would deffinently recomend you have B.G. You can also call them out to fix your boiler as it is now, but yes you will have to wait for it and as a non contracted customer will have to wait a while.

Or you could ask them for a quote to change it for you and ask them to throw in the 3 star plan ( I think you will find that they will)

The only thing it does not cover is the heat exchanger, ours gave up after about 6 years, they did change it but at an additional cost to our monthly premium.

The choice is yours, but i would say do have B.G

Thanks for the input Breezer.
As soon as I have a new boiler then I will apply for the BG 3 star programme.
I was talking to someone today at work who has just taken it out. BG told her that the central heating system has to be in good working order before you can take it on. She needed her system flushing [before the insurance kicked in]which was going to cost her £500 for BG to do it. She did get another quote from a local plumber who did the work and charged half the price! I will get a quote from BG but I will try else where too.

Thanks again
Sue

breezer said:
High Sue I am not a plumber or heating engineer, but it is true that some people will fit a combi boiler but not be able to repair it.

I have the british gas 3star plan you mention, only got it because our combi started to play up (and yes we too had trouble getting somone who knew what they were doing) British gas engineers fixed ours within 2 days ( the fact it went wrong again later is irelivant)

I would deffinently recomend you have B.G. You can also call them out to fix your boiler as it is now, but yes you will have to wait for it and as a non contracted customer will have to wait a while.

Or you could ask them for a quote to change it for you and ask them to throw in the 3 star plan ( I think you will find that they will)

The only thing it does not cover is the heat exchanger, ours gave up after about 6 years, they did change it but at an additional cost to our monthly premium.

The choice is yours, but i would say do have B.G

Hi Breezer, I'm new to these forums and I just noticed your message. Can I add that BG will change the ht exchanger but only if it's leaking. If the problem is due to scale, sludge or noise then it is not covered (neither are sludged up radiators)

I noticed the comment about the Ravenheat boiler having problems with the water flow. The usual cause is furring up of the heat exchanger. British Gas will not de-scale these because they claim the waste is difficult ot dispose of, at least that's what I was told by them. I too have a contract with BG to look after my system. Ravenheat boilers have a tendancy to to furr up in high limescale areas and the problem can be rectified if you can find a plumber that will descale the heat exchanger. We were charged about £100 for tis service.

I have to say that I've been less than impressed with BG's service. Last year we had a small problem that was exhasperated by BG's engineer. Without going into a long story, when the engineer came to look at the problem he took one look at the boiler, said that we should replace it as BG said Ravenheat was a rubbish system. Interesting as we chose BG because they were one of the few companies that would accept a Ravenheat. Now he didn't even take the cover off during his visit, had he done so he would have averted what became a major problem as the boiler had been leaking onto the internal electronics. The outcome of this was I now hold a letter of apology from BG and they paid our independant engineer to put the problems right. I also recieved visits from the local and regional managers and a letter from one of the national managers, all apologising and promising this was not their usual standard of work. However, part of our contract includes an annual service, at present that should have been done 3 months ago. As I'm completing a major project in the house and don't need to introduce any hassle, I'll be contacting them at the end of this project to meet their contractual requirements.

It's not my usual policy to rubbish any company on one event, however, should you ever need to speak to BG about a problem you should be aware complaints have to be in letter form, and you may find yourself waiting for over a month to receive a reply. During this time time you may be without any form of hot water or heating. I decided to bring in an independant engineer fairly early, he also produced a report for me which was highly damning of BG's approach. In the end I contacted Energy Watch, they intervened on my behalf and started the ball rolling, this combined with the engineers report seemed to have the desired effect.

As for the Ravenheat boiler. I've had mine 8 years, it has had problems and I probably wouldn't buy another. However, according to an independant engineer that looked after it prior to BG's involvement, they are a reasonable system, though he recommends Biasi boilers these days.

I finally got the ravenheat taken out and a baxi 105 put in it's place. I did want a vailant but the plumber recommended this one as he said it was the one most plumbers in our local area work with so all are familiar with it? It cost us well over £2000 for it plus a radiator so I hope it is suitable!

Any way I am just glad to have some hot water as the Ravenheat's fan gave up about 4 weeks ago so have been boiling pans till this week.

I do have a question for you though regarding thermastatic radiator valves. [Am sorry if this sounds stupid but the plumber left me no instructions on how they work and I haven't had them before. [ he put them on all but one radiator]

The radiators came on today for 15/20 mins then went off then came back on again. [the timer is not on as I haven't got round to setting it yet]
Is this suposed to happen. I am sure there is some simple logic for this but the little instruction leaflet doesn't explain this?

I would normally ask husband to play around with them but because we had to have a new boiler ,he got landed with putting in a new bathroom suite himself and just when he thought the toilet and bath were connected up he discovered leaky joints so is tearing his hair out right .

So, any simple explanations how these things work would be greatly appreciated and I can stop being cold when they turn off! [Didn't need the radiators on till today as it was scorching yesterday but is freezing today.
Thanks
Sue

not sure HOW a trv actually works, but i know what it does and is for.

It "detects" the temperature of the room it is in and if it is cold enough it opens and alows hot water into the radiator, so the radiator heets the room as usual, when the room is hot enough it then closes down. It does this regardless of the heating being on, opening and closing.

you have them fiited to all radiators (execpt usually the bathroom) this is so that the boiler is on for a shorter time because its stat says the water is hot enough, but you have to have one with nor trv so that the boiler can have a flow. only problems with them, very rarly but it does happen they stick, also when removing a radiator be carefull because although the trv is closed if cold enough it will open and flood the house, the way round it is to put a pipe from the trv to the other valve so if it opens due to cold, it will act like a very small (1 pipe) radiator

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back