Combi Bolier problems with Hot Water, C/H OK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am looking for advice.

I have a Jaguar 23kW Combi Boiler (Plumb Center/Hepworth Heating Division).

It's been in for 5 years and not had any problems.

The problem seems to have co-incided with the warmer weather and not needing the central heating on.

The hot water is problematic but will work fine if the central heating is on.

At the moment I can't get Hot Water from the bathroom unless I go into the Kitchen and turn on the higher capacity hot tap.

Even the Kitchen doesn't always work and it can take a good few goes to get the hot water running.

I just had a safety check done by a corgi plumber and all was ok.

I mentioned that sometimes I have this problem and he said it could be either the heat exchanger clogged up with scale or the diaphram pressure valve, he reckoned both were no more than an hours labour which he would do for £45+vat. He would clean the Exchanger or replace the pressure valve depending on what he thought the problem was.

I am happy to pay that kind of money, but would like some reassurance before I call him in.

Sponsored Links
at that price why are you worried?

I think he is on the right track Undercharging but on the right track!!

;)

I am not quite sure what to say!

He clearly knows what the problem is ( well one of them anyway ).

His charge is well, very cheap, almost too cheap.

However, in spite of this you seem to have absolutely no confidence in his abilities.

I appreciate that there are some cowboys about but they certainly dont charge so little.

We would charge a fixed £106 inc for solving what is actually your problem ( or £136 inc for what he has mentioned but what is not your problem ).

Tony

Bite his hand off to fix it at this price! or was this a starting price plus bits, plus this and plus that :?:

Sponsored Links
Agile said:

However, in spite of this you seem to have absolutely no confidence in his abilities.

I appreciate that there are some cowboys about but they certainly dont charge so little.

We would charge a fixed £106 inc for solving what is actually your problem ( or £136 inc for what he has mentioned but what is not your problem ).

Tony

wow you mean you wouldn.t be "a little bit cheaper" than this guy tony??

;)

just pulling ya leg

tony,i doubt you were meaning what your statement could imply. I appreciate that there are some cowboys about but they certainly dont charge so little.

Tony

mply.

This afternoon I had been called to inspect a heating installation that two plumbers had both quoted £350 to fix saying it needed a new pump or motor valve.

I went and found the pump had failed and replaced it.

But the tenant said the pump had been replaced about 10 months ago. It was dated 2002 !!!

The programmer was also replaced a few months before and when the tenant said it looked rather old fashioned she was told it was the latest type. That was dated 1999 !!!

Tony

This is what us 'honest' types are up against all the time as you well know Tony :rolleyes:

Agile said:

Tony

Sorry don't take my post the wrong way, I am happy with what he did so far and is quoting a good price and the diagnosis seemed good. He gave a good price on the safety check and clean as well and didn't push me on fixing my bolier.

I just like to know the score, because unfortunately you can trust no-one, the price might turn out to be more and I want to be prepared.

gas4you said:
Bite his hand off to fix it at this price! or was this a starting price plus bits, plus this and plus that :?:
Plus bits, that was just his labour charge. If it turns out not to be the heat exchanger the price will go up for the valve and fitting time.

GeedoubleU said:
I just like to know the score, because unfortunately you can trust no-one, the price might turn out to be more and I want to be prepared.

If we had quoted you the £106 fixed price inclusive repair cost, would you still not trust us?

Tony

Agile said:
GeedoubleU said:

If we had quoted you the £106 fixed price inclusive repair cost, would you still not trust us?

Tony

probably not, but you would definitely get the job with honest pricing and diagnosis and doing a good job will earn trust.

GeedoubleU said:
unfortunately you can trust no-one, the price might turn out to be more and I want to be prepared.

You can trust some people, but you can trust your combi a lot less.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back