Combi Cylinder/Packaged Plumbing Units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Anyone have any experience of the above?

I'm renewing my central heating and BG recomended an RMC Combi Cylinder and I've seen a Gledhill Seagull as well.

I want to move the hot water cylinder to the loft. Trying to avoid having to redo the cold water storage as well.

I live in a low water preasure area, so unvented mains preasure cylinders and combi boilers aren't really an option.

Needs to be able to supply 2 baths and hot water for the taps in the bathrooms and kitchen.

Cheers

MisterG

Sponsored Links
Hi

Forgot to mention may try installing myself, as quote from BG is very high.

with 2 bathrooms and other outlets your gonna want a decent amount of stored water, so a combi cylinder is probably a bad idea. As is anything with the word Gledhill on it. How high is your loft? If you get a decent platform built you can put a proper CWSC above the cylinder. Also you say you can't have a combi or unvented because of low pressure, but there's ways around this if your interested.

Thanks mickyg.

Was thinking of getting quite a big combi cylinder, eg 160L for hot water, 40 L for cold, with the gledhill the cold water tank goes up to 115L.

Would that be enough? There's just three of us.

Loft is reasonably high, so could put the cold water tank on a platform, but the gledhill seemed to be a simple solution, and was thinking of maybe doing a loft conversion at some point.

Are Gledhill products poor quality?

Certainly interested in other options, if you have suggestions.

Cheers

MisterG

Sponsored Links
Going with your current train of thought. YOur best solution would be better off putting a good size CWSC on a platform above the cylinder. Not only will this give you a good voluem of stored water, but you will be using cheap off the shelf products, easily replaced when worn or broken.
As for pressure boosting, you will find heaps of heated discussions on this forum about the pros and cons of accumulators and pump sets(ie grundfos homebooster) for pressure boosting. But it all depends on your current set up, supply and static pressure.

Thanks

Funnily enough my hot water pressure now seems higher than the cold, popbably because I closed off the gate valve from the cylinder to change a hot water tap last week, and probably opened more than it was before.

Unfortunately the cold water stopcock is stuck :cry:

Cheers

G

Do you have a celler area suitable for a Grunfoss Home booster?

Not cheap but very good perfomance!

Dont tell Grunfoss but you can make them up from cheap components for a fraction of the cost.

Tony

Hi

Unfortunately I don't have a cellar, whatever solution I go for will have to go in the loft.

Cheers

G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back