What to use instead of combi??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can a normal boiler still be fitted instead of a combi? Im wanting a boiler where there is a water tank in the loft and a cylinder in the airing cupboard. This way i will finally get some really hot water for a bath, combis are just useless for hot water, seems good for central heating though.

Sponsored Links
Can a normal boiler still be fitted instead of a combi? Im wanting a boiler where there is a water tank in the loft and a cylinder in the airing cupboard. This way i will finally get some really hot water for a bath, combis are just useless for hot water, seems good for central heating though.

The materials for a traditional fully pumped system are still competitively priced. The downside is the labour cost. However a true professional would still put this together with relative speed.

Sponsored Links
Would the new boiler be able to go where the combi is now and use the same pipework for the central heating? The cylinder would go in the bedroom cupboard next to the bathroom so pipework could come through the ceiling and then under the floor boards to the bath and then to the kitchen taps. I would have a pump fitted for the shower too. Is there any problems with putting a cylinder in a bedroom or running a pipe for the vold water up through the cavity wall? What temp does the water get stored at in the cylinder, i think i read around 65 degrees. Tank fed bath water i couldnt put my hand in while my combi fed bath water i can get straight in it with no cold needed to be added.

You can keep your existing boiler and still use it to heat a hot water cylinder.

Quite a few mupties dont know how to do that but anyone competent will have no problem.

Tony

Its the boiler that is crap, Sime Friendly, thats why ive been looking into changing it. I thought i was stuck with having to have a combi with the new regs about being condensing and all that. It just cant heat the water up enough. Max flow rate at 35 degree rise is 11L per min, i get around 8L per min with it not working very well.

The flow that you have quoted of about 11litres per minute is simply a benchmark... it is unlikely that your boiler will ever achieve that... 8 or nine is about right but with a higher delta T. The Sime is a pretty cheap boiler and you could achieve better water flow with a better quality, larger output combi. It is like trying to compare a Lada car to a Lexus, they both do pretty much the same thing but one does it a lot better

I know a few people thats had combis in their houses and none have said they were great, even the expensive ones. Back boilers seem to be the best for hot water and heating, even if they are not very economical.

Combi's have their place and work well ... especially in flat's plus you should choose a big one to guarantee a good hot water flow but don't expect it to feed multiple showers/baths at the same time.

There is the traditional approach with the cylinder, fed from a tank in the loft but much better is a high pressure cylinder which can often be located in the loft to save space; comes in various sizes and will accomodate most situations... you get high pressure hot water without a cold water tank and without using a noisy pump. These high pressure cylinders are also a very efficient hot water store keeping the water hot for longer.

We have also installed both a combi and a high pressure cylinder where the combi fed downstairs plus an ensuite, leaving the cylinder to service multiple bathrooms which needed the volumes of hot water. An unusual arrangement but worked well and mean't the main cylinder only got heated when guests came.

The installation for a combi or a system boiler is pretty much the same except for the addition of water pipes for the Combi.

We have also installed both a combi and a high pressure cylinder where the combi fed downstairs plus an ensuite, leaving the cylinder to service multiple bathrooms which needed the volumes of hot water. An unusual arrangement but worked well and mean't the main cylinder only got heated when guests came.

Not so unusual!

Its actually a very efficient and cost effective solution as a combi is as cheap as a heat only boiler.

Whilst this Sime is not that good as a combi it will be fine for heating a cylinder and still good just to feed the kitchen, for example, with DHW.

Tony

You can get high flow combis as long as you have good mains pressure and flow. You bought a crap one. Buy a good quality high flow combi.

People recommend tanks in lofts and cylinders are also members of the Flat Earth Society.

The materials for a traditional fully pumped system are still competitively priced. The downside is the labour cost. However a true professional would still put this together with relative speed.

...and the plastic tank can become full of boiling water, collapse and scald kids to death.

Combi's have their place and work well ... especially in flat's plus you should choose a big one to guarantee a good hot water flow but don't expect it to feed multiple showers/baths at the same time.

There are high flow rate combis hat can do two showers and some up to 3 baths.

There is the traditional approach with the cylinder, fed from a tank in the loft but much better is a high pressure cylinder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back