What to use instead of combi??

Sponsored Links
Yes but unfortunately a lot of these high flow combi's that drivel goes on about are simply a boiler and unvented cylinder in one box, and drivel claims, falsely might I add, that unvented cylinders are dangerous, but can never point anyone in the direction of such a dangerous incident in the UK.

Can a normal boiler still be fitted instead of a combi? Im wanting a boiler where there is a water tank in the loft and a cylinder in the airing cupboard. This way i will finally get some really hot water for a bath, combis are just useless for hot water, seems good for central heating though.

The materials for a traditional fully pumped system are still competitively priced. The downside is the labour cost. However a true professional would still put this together with relative speed.

...and the plastic tank can become full of boiling water, collapse and scald kids to death.

Only if you install it. If you don't know how an Alpha CD50 works then chances are safety vents/F&E's are beyond you as well.

Sponsored Links
Driveller said:
There are high flow rate combis hat can do two showers and some up to 3 baths.

3 Baths? From a combi? Fantasy.
The old systems with a tank in the loft which Driveller ridicules, fill a bath with water at 45° at 30 litres/minute, in winter.

A 48kW (!!) combi would achieve HALF that, in ONE bath.

The forum doesn't need this demented clown.

The forum doesn't need this demented clown.

He might be on here to boost ratings, like Wolf on Gladiators or Simon Cowell. Except they both know how an Alpha CD50 works. Although have to concede Drivel probably knows more about music than Cowell.

MY God!! He fits equipment liable to scald children to death. What world are these people in? The world of making money at all costs it appears.

Looking at that photo Agile posted of you, most parents would rather take their chance with the plastic tank.

drivel The Gledhill Gulfstream. A floor mounted combi. Many can easily do two baths,

Is that right they have a slight problem with the PCBs Catching fire I understand they had to modify an whole estate.

Seems to me we're doomed, scalded to death, blown up or burnt alive, take your choice gals & guys.

The Alpha 50 comes under un-vented and you need an G3 qualification.

What would i need to be able to heat a tank of water with my current combi? Would it heat the tank water to a higher temp than what im getting now from the taps?

You will need a new open vented indirect cylinder. If you want two baths within 35 minutes then its better to get a larger one.

Then you need a controls pack with all the motorised valves and timeclock etc, and a bit of copper pipe and a competent installer!

Most combis end up giving water at about 40°C which is an ideal temperature to use the water at.

Most cylinders are set to store the water at about 55°C

Tony

What would i need to be able to heat a tank of water with my current combi? Would it heat the tank water to a higher temp than what im getting now from the taps?

Do an Honeywell Y plan search.

Your present combi will heat an cylinder to 60c plus which is the recommended temperature.

Why not go for an un-vented cylinder, provided the mains is up too it, a much better system all round, and you can have it installed where you like even a basement or back of an garage.

Yes but unfortunately a lot of these high flow combi's that drivel goes on about are simply a boiler and unvented cylinder in one box,

Mr Bob, I do? A combi is a one box solution so an unvented cylinder inside the box still makes it a combi. Got it?

There are infinitely continuous combis around doing 22 litres/min, with secondary circulation loops as well. 3 bathroom floor mounted jobs as well. Many have integrated thermal stores too. Fabulous!!!!

and drivel claims, falsely might I add, that unvented cylinders are dangerous, but can never point anyone in the direction of such a dangerous incident in the UK.

He wants to see bodies twisted and mangled before he believes they can explode with rocket ferocity.

You are thick, you have contradicted yourself in this post, an unvented in the box makes it a combi does it, you have advised people to fit Vitodens 333, ACV heatmaster and Atmos multi, all of these are unvented cylinders, they have a P&T valve, and expansion valve a pressure reducing valve an expansion vessel and a tundish, but because they are in a unit with the boiler they all of a sudden become safe, according to your witterings of how dangerous they are, please explain how this is so, also if unvented are so dangerous as you keep claiming, surely when in a unit like the 333 and ACV Heatmaster, if the unvented cylinder exploded, it would take the boiler with it, very messy, quick everyone head for the nearest bomb shelter.

Yes. A combi is a combination boiler, an one box solution providing CH and DHW from inside the box.

Thickos like you can't see this.

This is sad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back