Combi microwave oven built in. Anyone got one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of months away from ordering a kitchen - likely DIY Kitchens.

I like the idea of tall units with 2 built in ovens next to each other. Makes me look like a cooking pro! However, I think I need one of them to be a combi oven/microwave as I do not want a freestanding microwave sitting on the side of my swanky new kitchen like I have right now.

Has anyone got one of these? Only reason I ask is that my current microwave cost £50, but these built in jobs that match the oven that will be beside it cost hundreds. What are they like practically? Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
We had a complete kitchen refurbishment recently and it included a combination microwave cooker placed above a conventional oven (my wife likes cooking). This is an AEG unit, a brand I understand is of good quality.

The problem we found, though, is that programming it is a bit of a faff.

Our old stand-alone microwave was easy: set the power (usually left on full - 900W), set the time and switch on.

This one isn't quite so straightforward. First turn the knob to 'microwave' (OK, as there are other functions), doing this starts the microwave, like it or not! Then you have to quickly set the time (push buttons) and the power (other push buttons) as quickly as possible before it has time to do too much microwaving at the full power (1000W), as we usually use 900W or 800W.

Something I'm getting used to, but why do they have to complicate things?

The problem we found, though, is that programming it is a bit of a faff.

Our old stand-alone microwave was easy: set the power (usually left on full - 900W), set the time and switch on.

Something I'm getting used to, but why do they have to complicate things?
I’ve read this on reviews of several makes. Perhaps it’s the combi thing. Thanks for your thoughts.

an AEG unit, a brand I understand is of good quality.

sadly, the venerable German electrical engineering company (founded in 1883) collapsed.

Electrolux bought the rights to stick an AEG badge on their household appliances. They also licence it to other makers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolux#Brands

"doing this starts the microwave, like it or not!"

you might find that until you shut the door, it won't start.

"doing this starts the microwave, like it or not!"

you might find that until you shut the door, it won't start.

We have tried that, but you cannot set the time until you've shut the door!

We have an AEG branded built-in microwave + combi oven, but it rarely gets used as an oven. It's a little impractical and the UI doesn't quite let you use it like a normal oven. Fortunately we have two other ovens.

If you can, go for a Panasonic Inverter Microwave, they are much better.

Use my combi daily great for small portions saves firing up the family double sized oven.Heats up in a couple of minutes while our main oven can take 15+ minutes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back