Combi newb: big gas bill, where am I going wrong?

A

AndySoton

Hi guys

Hoping one of you good people can help me :)

Not long ago I moved into a rental place on my own. I've been very careful with energy use and that and living my own I was confident my energy bills would be fairly low.

My first gas bill has just come and it's £65..gulp. I've checked the meter and sadly it's correct.

In terms of usage I would consider myself 'light' - two quick showers a day, washing up, bit of cooking, and last 2-3 weeks light use of central heating, mainly in evenings.

Now the only thing I can think of is that I'm not utilising the boiler correctly (I've not had a combi before). I can't see how else I'd be spewing this much away (my last house was me+partner and even in peak of winter never went over £45).

Excuse the bad photo but the damn boiler is in a really awkward position. The eco button is on but doesn't show in the photo.

So my main question is, what on earth am I doing wrong? Have I got it set in such a way that some part is always on?

boiler.jpg

Question two is a simpler one - I'm on holiday next week, is it best to switch off the boiler altogether when I'm away?

many thanks![/img]

Sponsored Links
£65 for three months ??? are you mad thats what gas costs that is super cheap

Sponsored Links
the 65 was for a month.
That was with Scottish Power monthly tariff, just moved to Southern Electric.

cheers

Hi

It's a 2 bed mid terrace

Just don't get how I'm using WAY less (or should be) gas then a 3 bed semi, also gone from two people to one, and paying c£20 a month more

thanks

As an aside (sorry) does anyone know of a website which allows people to submit their gas bills, usage etc, and then see what neighbours are paying? Would be interesting and useful data. If not, i will build one.

It depends on a number of factors! For starters, if the heat loss from a smaller house is greater, it'll take the same if not more energy to keep a smaller house at the same temperature as a larger well insulated property.

If the property hemorrhages heat through a badly insulated loft/old windows/etc then the boiler could run flat out all day to maintain the set temperature.

Just worked out my fuel bill and had a bit of a shock... Works out about £3.50 a day for gas.

Just moved to another company and had I done it a year ago would have saved myself £320.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back