Do Gas meters go wrong?

Go on, tell me if the meter readings are Actual or Estimated :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
johnD you are not going to get a reply to your simple question by the looks of it.. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling that means the answer would be embarrassing.

giblets said:
I don't suppose there may be a leak in a concealed hot water pipe by any chance?

No I don't think so, as all the pipes from the boiler run along the loft floor, down into the airing cupboard, & under the upstairs floorboards to the downstairs shower room or bathroom or the kitchen. So if there was a leak it would show up on the downstairs ceilings.

Sponsored Links
mdbalson, couldn't you possibly answer John D's question, just to put him out of his misery?

Have you upset him in a past life. simple courtesy of yes or no from him should not be that much trouble

JohnD said:
Go on, tell me if the meter readings are Actual or Estimated :LOL: :LOL:

the readings are 1st reading is Actual, 2nd Reading is Estimated (it's about right) & last Reading is Actual.

1st Reading was 00437, 2nd Reading was 00528, Last Reading (29/08/07) was 03424, & Todays (11/09/07) Actual Reading is 03442. The Bill is for the period 23 Apr 07 to 29 Aug 07 & is for about £700.

chrishutt said:
mdbalson, couldn't you possibly answer John D's question, just to put him out of his misery?

Sorry I was downstairs checking the bill, as my laptop is up on my bed.

Very odd.

Do you have a room stat, and was the boiler definitely not trying to heat the rads? Are the electric valves working so there is no circulation through the heating pipes when you are running hot water only (give then a feel) You would lose a fair bit of heat through all that pipework, but the timer and stat should have left them unheated. As they are in the loft they need the extra-thick climaflex (thick as your arm)

Is the hot cylinder thickly insulated?

I see you have a Potterton Profile 50e, i didn't know they could be sealed. i believe it has quite a lot of iron in it so if it was keeping itself hot it would use a certain amount of gas; though the timer should prevent it. Looks like you have the boiler stat turned very high.

Pity it's in the loft as I imagine you would not be aware if it was running, they're not very noisy despite the fan.

Have you had the gas pipework pressure-tested for leaks?

OOI my mother has a Profile 100e (similar but bigger than yours) , gravity DHW, so less efficient than yours, running all day, room stat set to 20C so not used much outside winter, her gas usage 5 May to 26 Aug was 254 units/8020kWh costing £204. In winter it is about £120/month (large house) so you have got some kind of problem. Try timing the meter when the boiler is running to see what the usage is; then again with the boiler turned off at the FCU

I hope they're not charging you for a cu.ft meter as if it was cu. metres.

Have a tightness test done - perhaps the boiler gas valve is letting by.

mdbalson said:
MarkBarl said:
Gas meters do go wrong. However you need to be sure that it is the meter at fault. my mother had a similar problem. The only gas she uses is her boiler and her bills were enormous. A safety check said there were no leaks, so she had the meter tested. it cost her £75 which would be refunded if a fault was found. Sadly for her no fault was found.

So what was the cause of the high bills :?:

Can only put it down to the boiler. It is very old. She has moved into a nursing home now, so we have turned the gas off.

mdbalson said:
1st Reading was 00437, 2nd Reading was 00528, Last Reading (29/08/07) was 03424, & Todays (11/09/07) Actual Reading is 03442. The Bill is for the period 23 Apr 07 to 29 Aug 07 & is for about £700.

How do you know that the FIRST reading is correct?

Did you check it when you moved in?

Its very common for people leaving to give an understated reading so they pay less ( and you pay more! )

Was the FIRST reading really by the meter reader and not the previous people?

In most areas you only get a meter reader once a year.

Tony

Agile said:
mdbalson said:

How do you know that the FIRST reading is correct?

Did you check it when you moved in?

Its very common for people leaving to give an understated reading so they pay less ( and you pay more! )

Was the FIRST reading really by the meter reader and not the previous people?

In most areas you only get a meter reader once a year.

Tony

The 1st reading was doing by me

mdbalson wrote:

Why is there such a large difference between reading 2 (00528) and reading 3 (03424). This equates to 2896 units used between those 2 readings. The difference between reading 1 and 2 is only 91 units and between reading 3 and 4 is only 18 units.

You really need to understand why you've used 2896 units is such a short space of time, and also why this is vastly different to the units used in other periods.

Give us the readings again and the dates they were taken.

Can you tabulate the readings and their dates please. Ideally then work out the daily usage between the readings.

Thats a VERY high consumption but it seemed stable both before and after the high usage dates.

Clearly something unusual has happened. Have you been away or on holiday and has anyone else been in charge? Have you had any hot water leaks or left a hot tap on you weeks at a time or had hot water leaking through a washing machine?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back