Combi Problem

Competence is judged by results not membership of a registration authority.

Actually in this case competence is judged by having the relevant qualifications.

Liken it to driving a lorry. I could get in a lorry play about with the controls and be quite competent at it but it would still be illegal as i don't have the relevant category on my driving license.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Competence is judged by results not membership of a registration authority.

Actually in this case competence is judged by having the relevant qualifications.

Again...."Competence is judged by results not membership of a registration authority". Not my opinion, the law.

1. To practice gas work, for no gain you need to be competent
2. To practice gas work for gain you need to be competent

The key word is "competent".

No.2, the man needs to be in a registration authority - currently CORGI.

That is all there is to it. That is the law.

Your interpretation of the law or opinion of the law, is meaningless. I hope this aids your understanding.

swbjackson so who would you deem competent the 6 monther who has passed acs or the guy who works for transco has 35 years experience in every aspect of the gas industry on every type of appliance (fitting and repairing them) has got city and guilds and has done around 50,000 jobs but doesn`t hold acs.

It's not a case of who I deem competent. It's a case of who the law deems competent. I've got 26 years experience but I still needed to renew my ACS earlier this year. If I hadn't I wouldn't be deemed competent in the eyes of the law.

Mike

Sponsored Links
It's not a case of who I deem competent. It's a case of who the law deems competent. I've got 26 years experience but I still needed to renew my ACS earlier this year. If I hadn't I wouldn't be deemed competent in the eyes of the law.

Mike

You didn't take any notice of my post. The law does not deem you to be competent at all by passing an ACS. It means you can go out and practice gas work and charge for it, that is all.

Competence is deemed by your results There are many incompetent men who are Corgi registered.

To legally work on gas you have to be competent. At present the only proof of competence that we have is a piece of paper from an approved assessment centre. Other than taking some sort of test/exam how else are we to prove competence? Just because you don't blow yourself up or poison yourself doesn't mean that you are competent it just means that in that one instance you got it right.

Unfortunately I have to agree that there are incompetent registered gas installers out there but there are also a lot of incompetent non registered installers. This is one of the reasons that there is huge dissatisfaction with the way Corgi is run, they seem very quick to pounce on anyone that has the cheek to use the logo unlawfully but slow to crack down on dodgy gas work by any installers.

Mike

To legally work on gas you have to be competent.

Once again...read what I write. It is not difficult. Competence is proven by what you do (the results of your actions) not a piece of paper.

A piece of paper, ACS, does not equal competence.

It is clear you think that having a piece of paper equals competence. Competence and paper qualifications and/or being a member of a registration authority (Corgi) are mutually exclusive.

A DIYer can legally work on gas as long as he is competent and received no gain. That is the law. That is how it is. Your opinions and ramblings do not matter. Just understand the simple basics and it will all be clear.

Competence and paper qualifications and/or being a member of a registration authority (Corgi) are mutually exclusive.
Rubbish!

A DIYer can legally work on gas as long as he is competent and received no gain.
Not if you are a landlord.

GSIUR Regulation 36 (4) states: "Every landlord shall ensure that any work in relation to a relevant gas fitting or any check of a gas appliance or flue is carried out by or by an employee of a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive.”

Competence and paper qualifications and/or being a member of a registration authority (Corgi) are mutually exclusive.
Rubbish!

Not so. Paper qualifications give you the authority to practice gas work for profit.

A DIYer can legally work on gas as long as he is competent and received no gain.

He is not a DIYer, he would be doing the work for gain.

Once again...read what I write. It is not difficult. Competence is proven by what you do (the results of your actions) not a piece of paper.

A piece of paper, ACS, does not equal competence.

It is clear you think that having a piece of paper equals competence. Competence and paper qualifications and/or being a member of a registration authority (Corgi) are mutually exclusive.

A DIYer can legally work on gas as long as he is competent and received no gain. That is the law. That is how it is. Your opinions and ramblings do not matter. Just understand the simple basics and it will all be clear.

Rubbish!
Not so. Paper qualifications give you the authority to practice gas work for profit.
Then you do not know what mutually exclusive means.

BigBurner said:
D_Hailsham said:
BigBurner said:
He may be doing the work to save money, but he is not paying someone to do the work, so he is a DIYer. Using your argument anyone who does DIY gas work could be said to be doing it for gain as he is saving money by not employing someone.

Does this topic never get exhausted there must be a hundred pages on it on this site , people read the line in the book and make there own mind up.

the really amazing thing is that some people can still be bothered to argue with bigbullshit whom we all know is neither competent, nor experienced, nor qualified.
i have added him to my ignore list a while ago as there is not a single part of the nonsense he comes up with that could possibly interest me.
there are plenty on here that hold decidedly different visions than i do, but they are knowledgeable and experienced. those people might come up with an argument one day that could change my mind so i keep reading what they post.
somebody who does not know the ins and outs of a coredrill, can not possibly have anything of interest to say.

Then you do not know what mutually exclusive means.

I know exactly what it means, importunately you cannot. Read what I write it is simple.

BigBurner said:
D_Hailsham said:
BigBurner said:
He may be doing the work to save money, but he is not paying someone to do the work, so he is a DIYer.

He is not a DIYer, a landlord would be doing the work as part of his money making activities. He is doing it to gain in taking rent.

Using your argument anyone who does DIY gas work could be said to be doing it for gain as he is saving money by not employing someone.

Saving and gaining are two different things. When you do something for yourself you do not gain anything at all. Your bank account has not accumulated.

gain = an increase

bigbullshit you are a ****.

edit; a **** actually has a use so I take that back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back