Combi Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have a Vokera 20 80 RS Flowmatic.

I have been having some problems with getting a consistant temperature in the h/w. If you look at my recent previous post, you will see that I have already secured any leaks in the c/h system, repressurised the expansion cylinder, and bled the secondary heat exchanger. These steps brought some limited success, but I still had fluctuations in the h/w taps & shower.

Whilst having another poke around, I thought I'd give the High Limit stat a shoogle (technical term) to ensure it had a good contact with the pipe. Well, after an electrical crack, I belive I may have fried the PCB!! Even though when I trace the red & white wire from the High End stat it doesn't seem to go near the fried area. Could a dodgy pcb have been the cause of the temperature fluctuations in the fist place. Anyway a new PCB is on order.

Finally, Having had a look at the diagram for my boiler it doesn't seem to show this part. It's about the size & shape of a lemon, has a bleed nipple, and seems to come off of the secondary heat exchanger. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks in advance for your help lads.

Cheers, Gary.

Sponsored Links
Whilst having another poke around, I thought I'd give the High Limit stat a shoogle (technical term) to ensure it had a good contact with the pipe. Well, after an electrical crack, I belive I may have fried the PCB!! Even though when I trace the red & white wire from the High End stat it doesn't seem to go near the fried area. Could a dodgy pcb have been the cause of the temperature fluctuations in the fist place. Anyway a new PCB is on order.

step away from the boiler :eek:

Yeah I know Gavinda, pretty silly poking around with the power on. Just laziness really. I can assure you it'll be going off when the new PCB is getting put in.

When you have an excellent Vokera expert like DP who posts on hear covering your area, I wonder why you are fiddling with it yourself.

I expect he might have been able to sort it all out for you for less than you are paying for a new PCB, thats unless you have ordered a dodgy repaired or second hand one.

There is no reason why anyone would even question the seating of an o/h stat.

Whatever the fault which caused you to open your boiler I presume that it still exists.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Agile. However, if I need e lecture on motovation & morality I have a really good priest who's only too willing. I really only needed to know if anyone can give me the advice I'm looking for.

BTW the PCB is £85 & brand new.

My old grandmother, God rest her, used to say, " If you haven't anything good, or constructive to say, don't say anything." Shame you never met her.

Thanks for your contribution anyway,

Gary.

My old grandmother, God rest her, used to say, " If you haven't anything good, or constructive to say, don't say anything." Shame you never met her.

Gary.

Actually I feel that advising you not to play with something you obviously don't understand and has the potential to kill you is fairly constructive.

By the way the lemon shaped thing is a shock arrestor. The lemon is the person taking the photo.

Mike

I would recomend a proper service during which HW problems will be resolved.

The thing with red and white wires on it has nothing to do with HW temp fluctuations.. It can deliver a nasty shock but does not play part in controlling HW temperature

Thanks for a decent non condecending reply DP. I'll maybe give you a shout if you cover North Glasgow.

I'm sure some of these guys sit up all night trolling the forums looking for people to belittle with thier compendium of knowledge.

swbjackson, I nearly ****ed myself laughing at your witty riposte... not. If you haven't anything constructive to add, away and crawl back under a boiler, and shut your mouth.

If there are any decent contributors able to tell me what the 'lemon' shape part with the bleed nipple is I'd be very gratefull.

he did tell you.

and these people are telling you not to touch it based on your actions with the overheat and frying the board.

if they didnt care they'd say nothing, or give you bad advice. instead you ignore it . these guys are actually giving up free time and knowledge they have earnt do muppets like you can try and save a few quid. :rolleyes:

With the greatest respect Gavinda, it's not about the point you're both trying to express, it's the manner in which you're doing so.

If I'm looking for second rate sarcasm I can get that from my teenage daughter any day.

Stick to the FACTS rather than referring to people as 'lemons' or 'muppets' in the course of an enquiry. All that makes this is 'The Corgi Club' where members get to sneer and snipe at anyone who may have gone beyond the limits of their knowledge/ability. Not somewhere where skilled people pass on their skills, and guide people to what they can and can't do.

So by all means tell me what I'm doing is dangerous, and beyond my abilities, but try to do it like an adult!

Stick to the FACTS rather than referring to people as 'lemons' or 'muppets' in the course of an enquiry. All that makes this is 'The Corgi Club' where members get to sneer and snipe at anyone who may have gone beyond the limits of their knowledge/ability. Not somewhere where skilled people pass on their skills, and guide people to what they can and can't do.

i think they have every right to. there's people who come on here and ask before meddling and can then make a decision based on fair advice.

then there's the other lot who think plumbing and heatings a piece of **** make a bad situation for themselves and then expect someone else to pull them out of the hole. we also come across this day day in the real world. some of the stuff folks see is shocking and you certainly dont want to be associated with an address with a gung ho clueless diy'er (or 'professional') in residence.

and to be honest if you cant take the lighthearted comments on here then you'll be in tears when you finally deal with someone you've called in to sort out your mess.

dont forget next time your playing with live gas and electrics that you do have a daughter and presumably a wife.

I think what is meant is that poking about in a gas fired boiler when you are not qualified is illegal and dangerous.

That's not just 'CORGI Club' mentality it is the law.

Please don't take offence that's just the way it is.

(Actually I believe the CORGI guys are probably breaking the law giving any advice at all other than 'get a suitably qualified technician to sort it out'.)

You know Gavinda, don't judge everyone by your own moral standards. There are still some people out there with a decent tongue in their heads.
I think this is where we part company, so if you don't mind keep your vitriol to yourself where I'm concerned. Don't bother replying.

Tipper thanks for your advice. Are you sure I'm not permitted to work on the water side of the boiler, which is all I've done? Otherwise it would be a Corgi job to change a rad? As for the electrics, I am part P qualified. Just got smart and worked live...silly mistake. But I don't need some smart arse like Gavinda laughing down their nose at me.

that is interesting, i don't know anyone who is part p qualified.
how do you go about doing that? i am sure that would be a good selling point for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back