COMBI REPLACEMENT

D

DAJ

I currently have a Jaguar Combi which has given me quite some grief over the past 2 years or so. I converted the loft in to 3 bedrooms and one of the ecisting bedrooms into a large bathroom.

I've spent an absolute fortune. Because this work was carried out almost single handed, it took me 2 years. The central heating system was constantly drained and as a consequence the heat exchanger became clogged with debris etc. I've cleaned the HE a couple of times with success (for about a month or so).

The new bathroom has a body jet shower, 2 person bath/jacuzzi etc. and I'm wondering if there is a boiler on the market that can produce a better flow than a combi. I have been told there are boilers that have a small tank over them which produces a better flow.

Because I am a gluten for punishment, I'm now ready to start on the kitchen (more draining, rads, taps 'n' pipes).

I am considering...

1. Flushing the system and replacing the heat exchanger
2. Flushing the system and cleaning the heat exchanger
3. Replacing the boiler (for better flow)
4. MOVING HOME !!

Any ideas ?

Please note, this boiler is at a different location to my other post.

Sponsored Links
Try the new Vaillant ecotec 937 storage combi if you have room to fit it :rolleyes:

Boiler not suited to house why would anyone have a plumb centre branded glowworm budget boiler with a house that has a jacuzzi etc

have you room to fit a unvented cylinder to supply bathrooms ,existing combi can supply one outlet but high water outlets run off cylinder

Sponsored Links
Check your incoming mains water pressure/flow,as even the best unvented cylinder will not give you a decent shower if its poor.
Under these circumstances go for a vented,and then a shower pump.

weareleeds said:
Boiler not suited to house why would anyone have a plumb centre branded glowworm budget boiler with a house that has a jacuzzi etc

WHY INDEED PAL. The boiler was already fitted before the project was started (OBVIOUSLY ! ! !)

Garfeild said:
Check your incoming mains water pressure/flow,as even the best unvented cylinder will not give you a decent shower if its poor.
Under these circumstances go for a vented,and then a shower pump.

The incoming pressure is good. I will check out a vented system, thanks. I wasn't aware that pumps could be used with a vented system, cheers. Regards, Den.

gordongas said:
have you room to fit a unvented cylinder to supply bathrooms ,existing combi can supply one outlet but high water outlets run off cylinder

Thanks, others seem to agree with you. Great advice, regards, Den.

DAJ said:
weareleeds said:

WHY INDEED PAL. The boiler was already fitted before the project was started (OBVIOUSLY ! ! !)

Not being disrespectful but you should have considered these issues two years ago. Anyhow now you realise there is even more expenditure for the project. Part of the huge skill of tradesmen is knowing from the begining what is involved, most tradesmen could run rings round any builder architect or planning officer. Actually they should let us run the country. But glad you've decided to consult us now.

As has been stated perhaps new better water supply dependent on test results, and unvented hot water quite likely to fix you up, could keep jaguar, (chemicals should sort out the plate heat ex once more, perhaps hire a powerflush to treat rest of system, which you'd better do if you fit a new boiler anyway) you have a lot of expense, let it feed say kitchen, and heat unvented using S plan controls (since if you use Y plan you have to add a zone valve anyway).

When deciding where to put the unvented cylinder consider emergency drischarge drain (D2) from it requires 300mm drop before first bend and constant drop to safe discharge point, so basement location would require an elaborate sump and pump arrangement. You may be able to find one that can be fitted submarine style in the eves of a loft (assuming you have taken up the rest of the loft in your recent building work). Check with manufacturers (obviously not a bubble top).

If any of this sounds like gobbledegook, question why you are diy'ing the project.

Paul Barker said:
DAJ said:
weareleeds said:

Not being disrespectful but you should have considered these issues two years ago. Anyhow now you realise there is even more expenditure for the project. Part of the huge skill of tradesmen is knowing from the begining what is involved, most tradesmen could run rings round any builder architect or planning officer. Actually they should let us run the country. But glad you've decided to consult us now.

As has been stated perhaps new better water supply dependent on test results, and unvented hot water quite likely to fix you up, could keep jaguar, (chemicals should sort out the plate heat ex once more, perhaps hire a powerflush to treat rest of system, which you'd better do if you fit a new boiler anyway) you have a lot of expense, let it feed say kitchen, and heat unvented using S plan controls (since if you use Y plan you have to add a zone valve anyway).

When deciding where to put the unvented cylinder consider emergency drischarge drain (D2) from it requires 300mm drop before first bend and constant drop to safe discharge point, so basement location would require an elaborate sump and pump arrangement. You may be able to find one that can be fitted submarine style in the eves of a loft (assuming you have taken up the rest of the loft in your recent building work). Check with manufacturers (obviously not a bubble top).

If any of this sounds like gobbledegook, question why you are diy'ing the project.

I considered all factors relating to the project and still do. I consulted a so called plumber (Corgi) prior to the relevant stage, who suggested that the boiler would be adequate (just). I am not a Sunday DIY bodger, I have worked on sites most of my adult life. I know of no "tradesmen" who I would trust running a County, let alone a Country and I have yet to meet one that could "run rings" around an architect and their pay-packets reflect this.

If any of what you've said sounds like gobbledegook, and I feel it would be of help to me, I will either find out what it all means or ask someone who doe's, then decide it's credibility. If it's within my capabilities carry it out and, if need be, get the completed work checked out (which I have done up to now) before commissioning.

Forums are a great way of obtaining information and sharing it. They are not intended as soap boxes for people to shout out how clever they are. Please don't assume that those asking for advice are complete................

I appreciate what you've said but not the way you've said it, thanks. Not being disrespectful !

DAJ wrote

and I have yet to meet one that could "run rings" around an architect and their pay-packets reflect this

I have met them and their pay packet is significantly higher than the architects I hasten to add.
Architects make incredible mistakes which cost thousands to rectify or simply leaves the client to live with the mistake.
I worked with one guy (pipe fitter by trade) who at site meetings could persuade clients , architects, project managers and building engineers to see things his way. He would spend hours talking to them.
I used to think he was wasting his time but as the job proceeded you soon realised his few wasted hours took days of the job.
Made our job a hell of a lot easier too I might add. :D

lcgs said:
gas4you said:
Try the new Vaillant ecotec 937 storage combi if you have room to fit it :rolleyes:

I second that vote. :D

THANKS lcgs, I think I agree. I've checked it out on the net and it sounds quite impressive. The cheapest I've found it is £1,150. If anyone knows where I cam get it cheaper, I would be grateful for the tip.

THANKS TO ALL FOR THEIR HELP AND ADVICE

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back