Combi vs Heat-only boiler for a 5 bedroom house

Not nonsense, if I viewed a 5bed property that is what I would knock of the asking price....
Especially in the current economic climate, I would knock 20% off the price as a starting point and find a reason for it after that.
What you personally would bring as a reason makes little difference.
A condemned boiler knocks at best 2 grand off the price, a working combi is a warm house; nobody will reduce the price by whatever because you don't like the boiler.
How much would you knock off if it turns out they have a keston/ideal/jaguar or any other piece of junk?

Sponsored Links
Not nonsense, if I viewed a 5bed property that is what I would knock of the asking price....
Especially in the current economic climate, I would knock 20% off the price as a starting point and find a reason for it after that.
What you personally would bring as a reason makes little difference.
A condemned boiler knocks at best 2 grand off the price, a working combi is a warm house; nobody will reduce the price by whatever because you don't like the boiler.
How much would you knock off if it turns out they have a keston/ideal/jaguar or any other piece of junk?

The average person doesn't know about heating or hot water. All they know is that it is a white box on the wall. I sold a house and they never tried the shower to if it had high pressure. To get a low pressure shower to a high pressure can be over £1,000 depending on what is being done. I turned on the shower to show them how good it was. They were going to buy irrespective because they liked the kitchen. The average buyer only looks at superficial things. The place could cost a fortune to run but they just buy anyhow. Efficient heating systems, high pressure showers and the likes are just small points that might lean the sale to you and get near to the asking price. The in-law sold his house and the viewers were mightily impressed with the body jet shower and circle of blue LED's on the ceiling above the shower. Get a noticeable body jet shower and a few lights and that will sell. It may exhaust the cylinder in 5 minutes but it will sell.

Sounds about right.
People spend (well, used to) go out, and consider a 2, 3 or 500,000 pound purchase.
When you point out that an iffy plumbing/heating or electric system could cost them upwards of 10k, but can be checked for £200 quid, they go: "ooh, 200 quid for an inspection, I have to think about that."
:rolleyes:

Hi George, how much do you charge for the boiler + instalation?
Also, how far do you go outside surrey
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would always advise a system boiler and unvented cylinder for a property this size.

I have put a un-vented cylinder in a loft before, but I had to have the trusses strengthened and a strong base built.

300 litres of water is an awful lot of weight to have up there :eek:

I would also go this way and wouldn't recommend a combi for a house this size

I have also put cylinders in loft (fitted a 210 litre twin coil OZO solarcyl in my last house) it stands on the middle wall between the bedrooms

Hi George, how much do you charge for the boiler + instalation?
Also, how far do you go outside surrey
Thanks

lol now thats funny. someone asking drivel pants for a quote...should be interesting! please keep us updated :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back