Combi vs System?

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have a system boiler (tank in loft + cylinder in airing cupboard) which is about 15 years old so it is due to be replaced as it is inefficient.

Was thinking if we should change to a combi while we are at it but i am not too bothered about having the extra space, the only benefit really would be that the hot water would have more pressure as it would be mains fed.

I already had my eye on the Atag A325ec as many people on here have recommended it as the combi of choice. but to have the combi it would be a conversion job and would cost us roughly

£1700 installed in the kitchen (probably not an option as it is too big)
£2150 installed in the boiler room

Or i could have the Atag A2000S/A2005S (open vented) boiler which will just be a direct swap with my existing boiler and would roughly cost about £1250 installed in the kitchen.

So technically it would be a difference of about £800 to not convert to a combi, but then obviously i know that i would still get the same issue in regards to having low water pressure in my shower (bath seems fine for some reason).

I just thought that with the extra £800 i could then use that to increase the water pressure by installing a pump or any other alternatives?

Thanks and Merry Xmas

Sponsored Links
If your prices include goods and labour, then either your installer is feeling extra generous (even by Xmas standards) or prepare for disaster.

yes the prices are all in (goods and labour)

are they cheap? im in the north of england so not sure if that makes much difference?

I looked up the price of the A325C and thats about £1000, so does £700ish for fitting seem cheap?

You don't just 'fit' a combi where there wasn't one before. It's not like a washing machine.

PS. Search miketheboilerman website and read his column on boiler changes.

Sponsored Links
We currently have a system boiler (tank in loft + cylinder in airing cupboard) which is about 15 years old so it is due to be replaced as it is inefficient.
If being 'inefficient' is the only reason for replacement, don't bother.
A new one would probably use less gas. It will take a decade or more before you save enough gas to cover the cost of the new boiler, assuming it doesn't require repairs during that time.

A combi might or might not best suit your needs. How many people, or appliances, in your home might use water (hot or cold) at any one time?

How many bath or shower rooms, and WCs, do you have?

When you fill a bucket at tbe kitchen cold tap, and time it, how many litres per minute does it deliver?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back