Combi boiler right for us?

12.4 ltrs per min on their tech spec. where did you get 18 from? where did ideal quote this?

Sponsored Links
Not very scientific but using a jug on the cold bath tap we get 30 litres of water per minute I think. What does that translate to in terms of fitting a combi? Think we get 20 or so from the hot tap :confused: Would a combi be okay? Can you get a combi anywhere near that?

Is your bath tap mains water then?

Sponsored Links
That's really got me thinking now

I know I read it somewhere and even remember the quote "18 l/m the highest throughput on the market for it's size"

It was either in the catalogue or the rep who was demoing it in in my local branch who told me. he was the guy who gave me the catalogue.

God I hate not remembering stuff

a combi boiler will always limit you to not having a decent power shower.

i would prefer a system boiler.

i guess you currently have a hot water tank heated by the back boiler?

Yes, we have a tank in the loft. What is the difference between a combi and a system boiler?

a combi heats the hot water on demand, theres no storage. so if you had a hot water tank, that would get removed. when you turn on the hot tap, the boiler fires up and heats the water directly.

a system boiler heats a hot water tank.

you can fit a power shower to a system boiler with a hot water cylinder but not a combi.

edit
do you have a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard?

No, just a tank in the loft

then i dont understand where you are currently getting your hot water from.

The hot water comes from the tank in the loft. Last time I looked it had a hot water tank and a small cold water header tank or something on the side of it. I know this because the ball cock came loose the other month in the cold tank. Think it had unvented on the sticker :confused:

Rob, yes, as far as I know the bath tap comes direct from the mains. The new kitchen tap has a very low output, far less than the old one. Measured it before and it averaged 8 l/m if that's possible?

Ideal are having a laugh if they are quoting 18 ltrs per min @ 35 Degree rise......and so are you if you think you will get that - will be 12 - 13 tops.

20ltrs per min is unvented cylinder performance, or you might get away with a storage combi.....

For the money id go unvented

Seriously? A £2200 budget to replace a back boiler and supply and fit an unvented cylinder?!

im confused....

Maybe it says vented, can't remember. But there's two tanks concealed within one fibreboard box in the loft, a hot tank, and a small cold water tank with a ball cock inside. When we run the hot water this cold tank starts emptying too :confused:

im confused....

Maybe it says vented, can't remember. But there's two tanks concealed within one fibreboard box in the loft, a hot tank, and a small cold water tank with a ball cock inside. When we run the hot water this cold tank starts emptying too :confused:

yes thats normal.

i would go for a system boiler, leave everthing else as it is, poss go for a unvented hot water cylinder and go with mains pressure hot and cold, inc showers.

this way you will not need to pump showers.

you may also need to replace the larger cold water tank, depending on demand req for showers etc.

Any boiler will push 18l/min through. The only question is how hot it is when it comes out the other side ...

Decide which boiler system you want based on your lifestyle, not on the technical preferences of some hotshot mechanic. Remember you'll be the one stuck with it for 25 years, not him.

£2200 to replace a back boiler with a high output combi seems a little on the low side!

By the way Mugabe does not have a cat. He has a DOG called Oba !

designall.dll

Any boiler will push 18l/min through. The only question is how hot it is when it comes out the other side ...

Decide which boiler system you want based on your lifestyle, not on the technical preferences of some hotshot mechanic. Remember you'll be the one stuck with it for 25 years, not him.

They wouldn't as they have flow restrictors in them, according to the kw size

Ideal are having a laugh if they are quoting 18 ltrs per min @ 35 Degree rise......and so are you if you think you will get that - will be 12 - 13 tops.

20ltrs per min is unvented cylinder performance, or you might get away with a storage combi.....

For the money id go unvented

Seriously? A £2200 budget to replace a back boiler and supply and fit an unvented cylinder?!

He didn't say that was his budget, just he would like it to be under £2200.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back