combination hot water cylinder, stuck drain off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a h/w cylinder with a side entry immersion. The immersion seems to be tripping the electrics. The drain cock washer has broke off and is stuck therefore I can not drain the cylinder to change the immersion. obviously with it being side entry I do not have the option of removing immersion and siphoning. The drain cock is at the side and tight to the wall so I can't even free the washer then quickly put the cock back in.

Any smart ideas? Would heating up the drain cock with my gas gun do me any favours? maybe melt the washer

Sponsored Links
Empty the system as much as you can then undo the top connection on the cylinder and stick a hose in, then syphon till you reckon the level of the water is lower than your immersion heater.

it is a combined hot water cylinder. Cold mains fills the top and feeds the h/w cylinder below. It is so tight to the ceiling that I cant gain access to feed a hose down to siphon it. The immersion is side entry and the hot water draw off is obviously on the side on the lower part of the tank. If it was as simple as disconnecting the top connection and siphoning then I wouldn't be on here. So..... any ideas on the drain cock?

If it was as simple as disconnecting the top connection and siphoning then I wouldn't be on here. So..... any ideas on the drain cock?

Looks like your the clever one mate :rolleyes: I am sure you will figure it out.

Sponsored Links
How about

Turn main off to tank, open hot taps, towel or wet vac around hot draw off, undo connection

Feed in hose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back