Come to a stop - problem with worktop size and cooker.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've come to a complete stop in installing my kitchen, and can't go any further until I solve my problem.

I have oak worktops which are lovely. A friend visited to cut them to size (to fit the width of the units exactly), and he did a really nice job. The problem is that I failed to consider the gap needed by the base units each side of the freestanding cooker.

I allowed 2 cm each side without thinking that this gap makes the kitchen look badly fitted and everything can drop down the sides of the cooker.

I can move them a bit nearer to leave only a one cm gap but think I should have cut the worktop to overhang by one or two cm so it (not the units) can butt up to the edges of the cooker.

I can't afford to buy new worktop and the oak endcaps are £40 each. What I want to ask is would it look horrendous to use a different wood (such as pine baton) as endcaps, staining and oiling them with the same oil as I use on the worktop? I have some off cuts but no one now to attempt to cut endcaps for me. I tried to have a go on a small piece but do not have the skill or strength to cut the oak (4cm deep)

I'm fitting it completely on my own and although I have made good progress on the other side of the kitchen feel completely stumped now.

Any advice really greatfully received.

Sponsored Links
Manufacturers Instructions will dictate what gap you should leave either side of a freestanding cooker. If they state that you need a 2cm gap either side then that's what you have to have. ;) ;) ;)

Any offcuts remaining from original worktop's?

Cut down to size, biscuit joint (glue and screw if you want, more then likely you will not know how to biscuit joint anything apart from a cookie) to fitted worktop, sand down do all the oily brushy malarky..blah blah blah, will not look the 'proppa' job but heck as you say, you can't afford a new worktop so work with what you have got and use your brain, or ask an electrician what you can do ;)

Whatever you do don't put, was it pine strips, on the end!

I had a similar problem and it did leave the kitchen looking badly fitted and a nightmare when it came to cleaning. Can your friend who cut the worktops to size not come back and help you with the offcuts and endcaps?

Liz

Sponsored Links
is the front edge of your worktop square edge.
You could get some oak 20mm by 40mm and fit it to the ends and front of your work top all round mitred at the corner as a decorative edging strip, then it wouldn't matter too much if it wasn't an exact match.
Perhaps your friend could help you with it.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

The worktop is square edge. The friend who did is 120 odd miles away but he'll be up again in a month so I'll ask him to either help with the offcuts or use an oak strip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back