Coming of Age

Sponsored Links
All property is theft, so lou is just trying to save our souls ;) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Meanwhile, number 1 son has just come downstairs for his McD brekkie, nursing his first hangover. How sweet ;) :LOL: :LOL:

I was met off the school bus by my brother who told me it was my step brothers stag do and we needed to go straight there. (It was his wedding next day)
We ditched my bag and got to the first pub where there was just my brothers mate sitting there. He got me a pint of cider then a different pint saying if you stick to the same thing it will get you really ****ed. I cant remember if I was really that stupid or just wanted to get drunk to see what it was like but I went for it.
I eventually ended up back home crashed on top of my bed. I awoke later so drunk I couldnt move then noticed my bed covered in spew. I couldnt get up but reached out and grabed something and threw it down and lay back down on top.
When I awoke and reality set in I suddenly realised I was lying on my suit for the wedding!
I dried it with a hair drier, brushed it, sprayed everything I could think of to get rid of the smell but I still had to shuffle off whenever someone mentioned the smell of spew at the wedding. :oops:

There is a cracked stair tread in a house where my youngest sister still lives that serves as a reminder of my first and by no means last contact with the falling down juice.

At what age is the 'coming of age'? 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21.....??? And what is it? How is it represented? Is it the point at which we enter our adult life and become responsible for our own self, our actions/words? We're permitted to drive a car at 17. Have to be 18 to drink (21 to buy alcohol in some supermarkets). You can join the army at 16 (younger if your parents permit!), but must be 18 to vote for the people who will decide where and when you will go into battle! Is the coming of age a point where our parents (or those who have nurtured us as their own), can breath a sigh of relief that they have done their job as they watch their fledgling adult go out into the world with the hope they will flourish into a person that will make their own way in life, will be a productive member of society, will simply be a decent person?

No reflection on your lad canta (most of us did it... some sooner than 17 perhaps?), I'm sure your lad has done many things you're rightly proud of and that may well point toward him becoming an 'adult' so I'm not saying that this is his emergence into adulthood but there are so many examples we see today of young people getting drunk and it being some sort of point were they have become adults that I can't help feeling somewhat disheartened that the 'coming of age' in Britain has come to represent getting drunk for the first time.

At what age is the 'coming of age'? 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21.....??? And what is it? How is it represented? Is it the point at which we enter our adult life and become responsible for our own self, our actions/words? We're permitted to drive a car at 17. Have to be 18 to drink (21 to buy alcohol in some supermarkets). You can join the army at 16 (younger if your parents permit!), but must be 18 to vote for the people who will decide where and when you will go into battle! Is the coming of age a point where our parents (or those who have nurtured us as their own), can breath a sigh of relief that they have done their job as they watch their fledgling adult go out into the world with the hope they will flourish into a person that will make their own way in life, will be a productive member of society, will simply be a decent person?

No reflection on your lad canta (most of us did it... some sooner than 17 perhaps?), I'm sure your lad has done many things you're rightly proud of and that may well point toward him becoming an 'adult' so I'm not saying that this is his emergence into adulthood but there are so many examples we see today of young people getting drunk and it being some sort of point were they have become adults that I can't help feeling somewhat disheartened that the 'coming of age' in Britain has come to represent getting drunk for the first time.
Are you pi$$ed? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I used to have a pic of myself and some friends at a party. I was 17 and it was the first time I had got REALLY] drunk. I was standing with my back to the wall at what looked like 45 degrees. :cool:

First time I came unstuck with alcohol, was in the early 80s. Stayed over at a friend's house, and a few of us got some plastic flagons of local scrumpy. Had quite a bit of this before going to a local pub, where an older friend brought a few pints out to us outside.

Wasn't feeling too steady by now, and tried to soak it all up with a couple of bags of chips. All went back to friend's house, and after the room spinning, fell asleep. Woke up not long after, and not being able to make it to toilet, opened bedroom window and puked.

Spent the next morning with raging hangover, dressed in just trousers (shirt in washing machine), hosing down mate's brother's motorbike that was parked beneath bedroom window. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back