Comments on Alarm Sticky

A

Atilla

4) Alarm control panel batteries.

Alarm control panel batteries should last up to 5 years. 6-8 really

The best make of battery is the yuasa brand, these will last 5 years maximum. rubbish they can last years

View media item 1015
Other brands may cost less but only last 2-4 years ditto

If you check the voltage of your battery it should be 12.5 - 13.5 volts and if its less than 13.2 its dead

If your battery is warm / hot to the touch (sometimes splits in the side) it needs changing
and dont lick your fingers afterwards

get it right first B.

Sponsored Links
Rechargable alarm batteries will only last 5 years maximum, they do not last for 8 years. Quite often cheaper batteries (no names) will only last 2-3 years.

The reason is they are being slowly trickle charged. As they have a "gel" inside them this gel breaks down over time, the more it breaks down the more current a battery draws, the more current it draws the quicker it breaks down.

It is not uncommon for batteries to become hot and then split due to age.

You have to also remember these batteries are NOT car batteirs which do last 8+ years.

You should change your battery every 5 years maximum regardless, or if you prefer, don't and wait until your alarm goes off. its your choice

For the non - belivers

View media item 1039 an almost 4 year old battery

View media item 1040 look to the left and down from my logo

View media item 1041 now see it? its not quite 4 years old and it has split. This battery was hot when i removed it.

Please also bear in mind i dont sell batteries, i have nothing to gain if your battery gives up. its your choice what you wish to do

yep that's what happens to cheap batteries (usually when the C/U is in an airing cupboard) however

you say buy yuasa and they WILL only last five years, no they wont they CAN last for a lot more - I often see 12, 14 and even 16 year old batteries that are still holding their charge

GET YER FACTS STRAIGHT !!

yes why dont you get your facts strait.

even Yuasa batteries, very good that they are do not last 16 years on an alarm.

prove it.

oh and the one i pictured was NOT in an airing cupboard (or any where else that was "over warm") but i do have to agree with you it is a cheap battery

Sponsored Links
you say buy yuasa and they WILL only last five years, no they wont they CAN last for a lot more - I often see 12, 14 and even 16 year old batteries that are still holding their charge

Thats not what YUASA say :rolleyes:

From THEIR website technical data

yuasa.jpg

yeah and meanwhile I`ll still be getting called to sites and seeing 12,14 or 16 year old batteries that still hold a charge

oddly enough I`ve never managed to get the 56 mpg my car manf claims

real world out there boys, its a real world

So, you are telling DIYers just to not worry about routine maintanence of their batteries despite the manufacturers advice saying otherwise :rolleyes:

Yes it is a real world, Yuasa say 5.5 years max, i say 5, you say 16 years, Do you test it with your tongue.
Sorry but they do not last your stated 16 years

Atilla said:
oddly enough I`ve never managed to get the 56 mpg my car manf claims

That will be because as you said
Atilla said:
real world out there boys, its a real world

so you take what the maker says as being a Maximum, not that anyone achieves it.

Oh, look Yuasa say 5.5 years, i say 5 years. Could it be i want to be cautious, and change it before Yuasa say so?.

Be a man about it, just lets agree to disagree.

It's the difference between professional and cowboy alarm companies.

The real ones change batteries to the manufacturers recommendations and the client does not have a problem.

The others leave them for **years and the poor client has the hassle down the line when there is a problem.

Thats not what YUASA say :rolleyes:

From THEIR website technical data

yuasa.jpg
Emphasis is on the word CAN, this does not mean will, but they can or may last that long.

Signing in with your other username doesn't make your argument look any more credible :rolleyes:

Instead of passing banal comments - why don't you contribute for a change?

I have used Yuasa batteries & they have long lived past 5 years.

The thing being that it all depends upon the application, the charging, how they are used etc.
To say that they only have a 5 year live as maximum is a bit harsh, perhaps ot ought to recommend that they are tested annually & replaced after 5 years.

Also, if a battery measures less that 13.2volts does not mean its knackered.
AFAIK If they measure less than 12 volts then they are either flat or knackered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back