commercial kitchen gas upgrade help

28 mm won't do it full stop.
35 wouldn't either.
42 is at a push depending how far your meters away!

Did they mention gas interlock, solenoid valve?

I'd look a little bit further afield.

What size meter have you got first off
How far is the kitchen from the gas meter.

Sponsored Links
4 metres from the meter to the kitchen then run of 30 ft with 8 connectors for hoses and 1 bend, meter is r5 if that helps, the guy that said 42mm he said the meter was ok thats the first thing he looked at.

You mention 8 caterflex's yet only 6 appliances and a boiler?

If you go by what you quote earlier 42mm is right o the edge, literally the edge.

You need a gas engineer that as well as catering holds ICPN1 and TCP1 or 1A, let them size it but 54 to the ECV and solenoid then the cater rail in 42mm would be my advice.

R5 doesn't help, you need a u or E number, unless its a rotary which I doubt.

I'd be expecting u25.

OP, perhaps you should sit down and think about the task in hand. Undersized gas line may well mean you have insufficient gas available at the appliance which will be an issue. Complication could be burner/s going out because the pressure is TOO low. No way can you skimp on use of correct materials.

Do check your installers gas ticket, especially at the back to see if he hold the relevant ticket. Or call Gas Safe and from them get a list of operatives near you. You can do this from your PC too.

Sponsored Links
One Indian takeaway that I came across had been operating with only 7 mbar of pressure instead of 21 mbar for the last two years.

The owner had noticed the burners were not very powerful but had not bothered to get it investigated.

It also shows up a worrying fact that apparently no annual gas safety checks are required in takeaways!

Tony

One Indian takeaway that I came across had been operating with only 7 mbar of pressure instead of 21 mbar for the last two years.

The owner had noticed the burners were not very powerful but had not bothered to get it investigated.

It also shows up a worrying fact that apparently no annual gas safety checks are required in takeaways!

Tony

How would you know the pressures wrong oh gas god, unless your messing around with stuff your not competent to do!

Quite simply by measuring them at the domestic size meter!

I was called to repair the boiler in the flat above!

Restaurants expect to pay for their gas repairs at the same rate they pay their catering staff. In Indian restaurants thats in Rupees!

Tony

i ususally cement the gas pipes together when doing commercial. have i been doing something wrong?? :confused: have never used jubliee clips or flexipipe as some one you have mentioned. this thread is an eye opener to say the least. lots of new shortcuts to be learned from ye old pro's :D

do you need a gas interlock system on pipe upgrades or just on brand new installations because i've been quoted £4300 with interlock on 42mm and £3700 without interlock and 35mm

As far as I am aware you need an interlock on the ventilation system as well as an emergency shut off valve located when it is immediately accessible in any emergency.

But all of these aspects will be advised to you by your chosen reg gas installer!

Tony

As far as I am aware you need an interlock on the ventilation system as well as an emergency shut off valve located when it is immediately accessible in any emergency.

But all of these aspects will be advised to you by your chosen reg gas installer!

Tony

no offense. as far as im aware is not an answer that should be given here. if youre commercially qualified you really shouldnt be aiding this op who may be diy er or non rgi.if your not you should not be guessing.
op i suggest you really do pay a proper commercial catering company to attend and quote and pay a proper price for a proper job. after the work is done you can then have it checked by gas safe .if you still think its a cowboy job( i can assure you far far more people are killed and seriously made ill from cowboy restaurants , takeaways and poor commercial food prepartion on off site premises then so called rogue plumbers.
i suspect you are looking at doing this yourself. so be it. but others here should not be guessing or providing answers and should know better imho

do you need a gas interlock system on pipe upgrades or just on brand new installations because i've been quoted £4300 with interlock on 42mm and £3700 without interlock and 35mm

you will req a gas interlock on your system, and if any of your appliances do not have flame failure devices fitted then you will also req a gas proving system too

Matt

all am asking is for opinion and no i'm not going to even bother try doing the job myself because it seem to me there's registered gas fitters that are struggling to size a a gas pipe one guy said you wont even need upgrading just extend and add it on where as the cooker manufacturer had mentioned that check if your gas pipe is big enough.

I dont think he is intending to DIY but even if he was we would be unlikely to persuade him otherwise.

Oddly at first sight, Indian food causes very little food poisoning according to an Environmental Health Officer I was chatting with. A combination of strong spices and the tendency to cook as required I expect.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back