Common drain problem ( pump )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed on these forums many people having similar problems with their water draining. I had similar problem with my washing machine. So after finding the reason i have decided to post it here in hope that it answers many posts in these forums.

After looking around in various forums i found that the outlet pipe needs to raise 18mm - 40mm for every meter. So i went back to my machine and used cable ties to give the first foot (aprox) of pipe a steady incline. This solved the problem.

Obviously the pump isnt strong enough to pump the water straight up and out into the stand pipe. So a steady incline is needed for your pump to get the waters speed up before the water tackles any steeper incline.

Sponsored Links
if what you say is true, tell me why mine it goes strait up and hooks on the stand pipe as do thousands of others

Adie, did you clean your filter? ;) If not, do it now, and your drain will work as it should. :rolleyes:

And the reference to the gradient of the "outlet pipe" seems more suited to fixed pipework - its impossible to get this sort of gradient on the flexi drain hoses, and it beggars belief that you did. :confused:

The drain pumps in washers and dishwashers are designed to pump up at least about 3 feet - since this is a normal height to the top of the standpipe! Our dishwasher flexi drain runs straight vertically for about 3 metres, then up and into a drain spigot under the sink.

Well all i know is, is that ive been trying to sort this problem out for the last 2+ months. Taken the pipes apart and no blockage at all (100% clear). Even changing the pump didnt fix it, but low and behold i made the first foot of hose not exceed 1ft, so it is a 'c' shape tied to the back of the machine and its working now.

Go figure :)

Im not saying this is the problem to all machines, but it seems to me alot of people having this problem should approach my method as an alternative. So i gave a subject title so people can search and find easily.

as for the incline figures you maybe right, but once again it doesnt seem to me that my machine is willing to push the water straight up 2ft to the top of the standpipe. At least with 1ft of pipe that the pump doesnt have to push as hard, gives it a chance to get the water speed up.

Sponsored Links
pumps dont work like you say

gives it a chance to get the water speed up.

all pump out fails / slow to empty are caused by blockages / dead /old /cheap pump, end of story.

best one, went to a bloke who said all pipes clear, I pulled stand pipe off looked down it and gave it to him and said goodbye.

There for all to see was a partial blockage

All pipes are clear, theres water down to the pump all the time. no blockage. The pump is making a sound that obviously is suggesting that its doing something. The outlet hose is totally unblocked. I place the outlet hose like i said and it works.

i suggest you read my post again, it has been known to get pumps from new that are not 100%

FYI breezer, the moderator did in fact remove a portion of Adie's latest post, which was derogatory and insulting towards you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back