Complacency

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A good friend went blind after hammering a masonry nail that broke and went into an eye, the uninjured other one just stopped working as well. Use those glasses, they have them in Poundland, with a dust mask included! Bargain.

Sponsored Links
Very good advice. The other day I was using a hobby drill with a disc cutter to cut some model railway track. The note that it made suddenly changed. When I had stopped it, I found that half of the disc had shattered and flown off somewhere. It could have been in my eyes but luckily wasn't.

I had previously used safety glasses when operating full-sized power tools but never realised that it was necessary with such a tiny drill. I do so now!

First time I used a Dremel was when I was cutting a hole in some 2mm thick aluminium. Being complacent, I didn't bother putting on my safety specs...

2 minutes later, when the disc shattered into smithereens and took a chunk out of my car paintwork (parked 10 feet away) I put the Dremel down, and found my safety specs. :eek:

I'm sure most of us are complacent with safety, but now and then you get reminders that it can go wrong so easily. 2 years ago I was sat at a red light, noticed a guy was strimming the grass verges. Then suddenly there was an immense *BANG* and my windscreen was cracked right down the middle. The strimmer had kicked up a stone with enough force to crack my windscreen from 10 feet away. So now I always strim my lawn edges with specs on!!!

Waterman, I hope you remind people when you're working with them. I'm yet to convince my parents to put on dust masks when sanding, specs when cutting etc. They think I'm being a wuss :eek: :LOL:

First time I used a Dremel was when I was cutting a hole in some 2mm thick aluminium. Being complacent, I didn't bother putting on my safety specs...

2 minutes later, when the disc shattered into smithereens and took a chunk out of my car paintwork (parked 10 feet away) I put the Dremel down, and found my safety specs. :eek:

I'm sure most of us are complacent with safety, but now and then you get reminders that it can go wrong so easily. 2 years ago I was sat at a red light, noticed a guy was strimming the grass verges. Then suddenly there was an immense *BANG* and my windscreen was cracked right down the middle. The strimmer had kicked up a stone with enough force to crack my windscreen from 10 feet away. So now I always strim my lawn edges with specs on!!!

Waterman, I hope you remind people when you're working with them. I'm yet to convince my parents to put on dust masks when sanding, specs when cutting etc. They think I'm being a wuss :eek: :LOL:

Did you claim against mr strimmer man? I have often wondered what happens in that sort of situation. A few years ago I was parked outside the offices where I was working at the time. T'council were strimming etc quite close-by, and when I came out at 5 pm I found some damage to the car that was new. Couldn't prove anything, but damned annoying.

Sponsored Links
Seen a person lose an eye feeding the lid of trunking into a void to pull cable thru.
Googles are cheap and inexpensive, eyes priceless.
Safety equipment is there for a reason, admittidilty the nanny state of H&S is a bit overpowering. The intention is good even if misguided.

Just think about what your doing, that will save lives/losses.

I have a pair of those - use them when outside otherwise it makes things a tad darker :D

I have been to A&E on more than 1 or 4 occasions to have bits of grinding wheel and metal pulled out of my eyes. I always wear glasses now but its too late for that one speck thats still there. Annoyingly I can see it one word ahead of the the one Im reading.

Very good advice. The other day I was using a hobby drill with a disc cutter to cut some model railway track. The note that it made suddenly changed. When I had stopped it, I found that half of the disc had shattered and flown off somewhere. It could have been in my eyes but luckily wasn't.

I had previously used safety glasses when operating full-sized power tools but never realised that it was necessary with such a tiny drill. I do so now!

I had a similar experience, now I always were specs even to hammer the odd nail.

Cheers

G

Did you claim against mr strimmer man? I have often wondered what happens in that sort of situation. A few years ago I was parked outside the offices where I was working at the time. T'council were strimming etc quite close-by, and when I came out at 5 pm I found some damage to the car that was new. Couldn't prove anything, but damned annoying.

Sorry for late reply.

As soon as I got to work I rang the council and explained what happened. Helpful person gave me the address of their insurance department.

I then wrote a calm, factual letter stating exactly what happened, including photos taken 5 minutes after the incident. I suggested that their strimmers should be equipped with a cowling over the strimming head, as they were alongside a footpath and a stone could have just as easily hit a pedestrian.

A few days later I got a letter saying "We will pay the excess on the windscreen replacement. This is not to be taken as an admission of liability, nor to set a precedent."

I never sent in the receipt and claimed my £100. I'd like to say it was on principle because I was impressed with their handling of the situation, but in reality I lost the receipt and forgot all about it for several months. D'oh. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back