Complaining about my builder

zo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Who do I complain to regarding my builders with whom I am having a lot of problem?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
background would be handy to give an honest and helpful reply to resolve the situation
what we suggest depends on the actual problem and may not be the same as your perception off what is happening

builders with whom I am having a lot of problem?

Contractual or criminal?

Contractual.

Removal of the chimney breast promised to be completed in 6 days. day 12 job still incomplete. Upstairs chimney breasts removed without any supports. Had to ask him before he turned up with some supports the next day! Chimney stack in the loft collapsed whilst being demolished by a painter/decorator using a pneumatic drill. One support from the room below removed to prop up the collapsed chimney stack.Bldg reg not contacted despite the fact I kept asking him about it. Contacted them myself after the collapse and when I saw concrete lintel. I was expecting steel lintels. Council insisted on Gallow brackets but the builder used the wrong ones. The right brackets were then installed underneath the previous lintels, but most not fixed to the centre of the bricks but screwed into the mortar. The bldg reg guy was different from the one I spoke to on the phone. He wanted steel lintel going straight across the external wall and the internal load bearing wall placed low on the floor of the loft with a steel plate above it. But it was too late as most of the chimney stack had been demolished or had collapsed.

Builders not only arrived late but were sent on to other jobs or to deliver tools elsewhere or spent time smoking and taking long breaks. A lot of time wasted waiting for the correct tools/skilled builder to arrive at the location. Project not managed by the main builder as he was barely here. He doesn't always answer my calls. Left with poorly paid Bulgarian builders who can barely speak any English.
Builders used my ladder which is now wonky and dangerous to use. They borrowed my hammer and bucket! Dust sheet, not plastic sheet used on my beige carpet, thereby ruining it. I am so fed up with all the dust and living with everything under plastic sheets!

Have to feel for you mate - no one likes to hear stories of complete incompetance, especially with structural work.

If your story is true, i'd be asking them to leave site and explain why, then get someone in who can do the job properly.

I'm not really sure how far you'll get with a complaint to anyone.

They borrowed my hammer and bucket!

2bsMU.gif

Contract disputes are sorted out in the County Court, or if the contract allows it via mediation/arbitration

Otherwise you can only complain to the boss

Feel free to deduct money for damages though

Have you paid them?
Some, not the total costs.

Consider not paying anything further until you're happy with the service, especially if what you've already paid would reasonably cover the materials you're now in possession of.
On a past dodgy roofing job, I told the builder his work was shoddy and I wasn't going to pay for it, but I would at least pay for the materials he'd supplied that I could reuse when re-laying the roof..

Have you paid them?
Some, not the total costs.

Consider not paying anything further until you're happy with the service, especially if what you've already paid would reasonably cover the materials you're now in possession of.
On a past dodgy roofing job, I told the builder his work was shoddy and I wasn't going to pay for it, but I would at least pay for the materials he'd supplied that I could reuse when re-laying the roof..

Yes, that was what I was planning to do. I know he has been paid enough for the materials and the labour costs. So he has made a profit so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back