Builders busy until May - to be expected at the moment?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure this is a hard question to answer, and depends on the area and lots of other things, but basically I have some builders whose quote I like and whom I've met and feel comfortable with, and I'd like them to do an extension for me - but they're not free until late May.

I would much rather proceed sooner than that, but is it even worth me continuing to look for builders and maybe find one who's free, or is 3-4 months booked up about normal at the moment? I'm in the South East if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
I have this conundrum with my tea every night.

Mrs W says it will be ready at 7:00, but I'd rather have it at 6:00. So do I wait for the steak and mash, roasters and fresh veg, or nip out for a Big Mac? I suppose I could always see if there's a table free at some of the local restaurants though. Who knows?

Appreciate that you want to get the work underway but if the builder you like is busy that will give you chance to really find out how good he is. Find out where he has been and is now working and go have a look. If he's good he won't mind and the people he working for I'm sure will be proud to show off. If he dosen't like the idea then he ain't worth it.
My builder neighbour is booked up with doing extension work in the locality for the next twelve months, working on one at present with 2 to follow. He does one job at a time (even when the jobs are adjoining properties).

By some accounts it's hard enough to even get a quote in the South East at the moment so you're not doing too badly!

Sponsored Links
What!?!?!
The madness in this thread.

Mash with steak it's got to be chips.

It is a simple fact of life...the good small builders are always busy. The regular ones I work with are generally booked up 6 months in advance and often 12 months. My first choice builder had all his work for 2017 booked up by about September last year but people know this and are prepared to wait.

The Cowboys can start next Tuesday.

A good builder is a busy builder. As the others have said, the guy than can start next week, he's able to come to you so quickly for a reason....

Perhaps some good builders don't do it as their main job, so can be available to start next Saturday. :whistle:

It's a misconception that only the good builders are busy. The crap builders are just as busy doing crap work. How many battered old Mondeo's do you see on the local gypsy site for instance?

In all seriousness, don't rely on full order books as a guide to quality, competence, service, financial stability or any of the other comparison indicators. That's a false sense of security.

I have this conundrum with my tea every night.

Mrs W says it will be ready at 7:00, but I'd rather have it at 6:00. So do I wait for the steak and mash, roasters and fresh veg, or nip out for a Big Mac? I suppose I could always see if there's a table free at some of the local restaurants though. Who knows?
If I was Mrs "W" I'd throw your tea up the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back