Complaints about neighbours Extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

My neighbour is planning to extend their house and add a second level to their garage. The additions would cut off light completely from my garden, and render the back windows useless. They plan on making a garage the whole way down their garden, as well as adding a second level to it, which would cut off all light to my garden, and vegetation. They are also adding an extension to their house itself, and adding a whole new side of the house in half of their currant garden. Not only will all this be visually polluting, but also affects our general life. I live in Northern Ireland, and want to know how exactly I can complain about this to get the parts that would make the worth of my house practically zero stopped. I am unfamiliar with planning regulations, and want to know where and how exactly I can complain. Thank you for any help.

Sponsored Links
start by contacting the planning office at your local authority they will guide you as to the proceedure
may also be worth contacting your solicitor if there is any party wall involved.

Instead of wasting your time getting vague answers from the Planning Dept. and wasting money with your solicitor. Go onto your LA planning website + look for any Housing Extensions policies / guidlines.

You will quickly find what is generally allowable + what isn't. If you feel you have a leg to stand on speak to the relevant Planning Officer (if it has been submitted already?) and get some advice.

I have lost count of the objections I have had from neighbours regarding extensions works. If it's within the published guidlines it'll be allowed, if it's overstepping the guidlines you have a valid point.

Loosing light and reducing the value of the house are classic 'not valid' arguments in my book. There are guidlines on distances between dwellings, on habitable and non habitable rooms etc etc. Just try to do a bit of research. ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back