Complete installation of unvented system quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm renovating a small 3 bedroom semi in Norwich. We're planning a large extension (2 storey side, loft and single storey rear) to essentially provide 4 double bedrooms along with complete renewal of the existing house.
The current central heating system comprises a gas combi boiler with oddly placed, leaking radiators in some of the rooms. The new extension will create 2 new bedrooms, 1 bathroom, (moved from current location to the box room), WC, 1 shower room, utility room, extra reception room and a new kitchen.
I met with a heating engineer today who gave me a ball park figure of 10 - 15K (detailed quote to follow) which covers the following:
  • removal of all existing central heating pipework, radiators, gas pipes (to 2 old gas room heaters) and existing combi boiler
  • supply and installation of unvented cylinder, system boiler and accumulator (all Veissmann brand)
  • supply and installation of wireless thermostat
  • installation of 13 stelrad radiators
  • supply and installation of all pipework
  • hot and cold feeds to bath and shower rooms
  • no sanitary plumbing included
  • all labour included
If money was no object I would use this engineer as he is excellent and provides first rate follow up if needed. However, by his own admission he doesn't need to be the cheapest.
I was thinking more in the region of 9K including all sanitary plumbing.
Your opinion on this would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks O&B,

I'll post the quote when I get it. Rather concerned his minimum "ballpark" was far in excess of my minimum threshold (~6K).

Sponsored Links
Why?

This isn't Comparethemarket.com. We haven't seen the job.

Cheapest isn't the best.

This is the second set of plans we've drawn up for this renovation, the first were slightly smaller but we were quoted 6K for an unvented system.
True, but this is a bog standard semi.
Totally agree. I know this engineer isn't the cheapest but I have mouths to feed etc.

Last edited:
You say the installer is professional, does a good job and has great back up. You only want to have this work done once. So I would dig deep and find the money to get it done correctly first time.

You may save money going elsewhere but any problems that ensue may vastly outweigh the saving you originally might make.

Mutley56

Get another quote from someone who will quote you 9k - if you tell them that is what you were expecting... then you'll get a 6k job for your 9k :)

You say the installer is professional, does a good job and has great back up. You only want to have this work done once. So I would dig deep and find the money to get it done correctly first time.

You may save money going elsewhere but any problems that ensue may vastly outweigh the saving you originally might make.

Mutley56
Thanks Mutley,
Good advice. That's along my line of thinking. I posted here to look for reasons to use this engineer given I know he's proficient and trustworthy. I'm not attempting to undermine him as others may intimate. Whether he gets this job or not I'll continue to use and recommend him.

Get another quote from someone who will quote you 9k - if you tell them that is what you were expecting... then you'll get a 6k job for your 9k :)
:D Yes dilalio, I'm sure they read you like a book :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back