Complete installation of unvented system quote

Nope.

How can we "promote" someone we don't know, for a job we haven't seen, in an area we (probably) are not familiar with).

Its just a bizarre question.

Sponsored Links
Nope.

How can we "promote" someone we don't know, for a job we haven't seen, in an area we (probably) are not familiar with).

Its just a bizarre question.

Sorry real pin you misunderstand me. It's all about roughly validating the price, the guy in question is sound as a pound. Thanks for taking the time to read the OP and offering your opinion.

You have a trustworthy company who have seen the job in question, yet you come on an internet forum , hoping that someone will tell you it should be cheaper, there are some that will tender to your wish, because they dont have to do the work, it is your home you have to live there pay the price that the best company offer, I know some ****** that will do it for half that price if you pay up front

Sponsored Links
You have the ability to get written quotations for the same Viessmann system from all the installers in your area.

Then you can compare your impression of each of them and reach a decision. If the one you like is closer to the lower end of his ( wide ) range then I expect you will choose him.

Be aware that an installer on the Viessmann approved list may well be able to still get longer warranties on the boiler. So do check that out. But they are pretty reliable on a clean system.

I know what I would be likely to charge but its not productive to discus prices in detail when you are going to use a local installer. This web site does not encourage posts asking about prices.

Was in Norwich last weekend and had I known could have come and had a look! I liked the little church used as an antique arcade.

Tony

Thanks for the advice Tony, really useful.
St Gregory's church opposite the chip shop? I love that place too, perfect for idling away an hour or so. If you're in Norwich again maybe have a stroll along Magdalen street, some great junk/antique shops to peruse.
I take your point about this site not encouraging quote advice, I think there's a MSE forum I'll use in future.

I thought I'd update my post with the outcome from my original question.
The 10-15K plumber didn't provide me with a quote, I'm not sure why but I'm guessing he was to busy to contemplate the job. I've used him twice since for boiler servicing jobs and the quote hasn't been discussed further.
The boiler engineer recommended by our builder and a friend provided a quote of £8450 (not VAT registered) to include a new heating system (as described in the OP), all sanitary plumbing, a water softener but not an accumulator (deemed unnecessary). Stelrad radiators and Baxi (I think) system.
I hope this is useful for other people contemplating similar projects.

I thought I'd update my post with the outcome from my original question.
The 10-15K plumber didn't provide me with a quote, I'm not sure why but I'm guessing he was to busy to contemplate the job. I've used him twice since for boiler servicing jobs and the quote hasn't been discussed further.
The boiler engineer recommended by our builder and a friend provided a quote of £8450 (not VAT registered) to include a new heating system (as described in the OP), all sanitary plumbing, a water softener but not an accumulator (deemed unnecessary). Stelrad radiators and Baxi (I think) system.
I hope this is useful for other people contemplating similar projects.

Good for you. Seems your gut instinct to validate the original quote may have been justified - hope it all works out.

Good for you. Seems your gut instinct to validate the original quote may have been justified - hope it all works out.
Except that we don't actually know that, because the OP hasn't said whether he's happy with the outcome. He's paid less, but has he had the same level of quality? Is his shiny new water softener a decent one which regulates its salt consumption according to water usage, or is it a cheap thing which chews through salt according to an arbitrary timescale, and occasionally throws hard water into his system while it's regenerating? He doesn't even know for certain what boiler he's had installed, much less whether it's actually properly matched to his house and lifestyle rather than being the one the installer could get the best discount on at the time.

It may be a perfectly sound and operational installation, but the old adage of "pay peanuts, get monkeys" usually applies. I'm just in the process of starting to sort out a system for a customer, which was installed on the cheap just under a year ago and has been slowly revealing its demons. The bill for sorting it is likely to be greater than the difference between the monkey's and the master's quote by the time all is done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back