Complex Bathroom Tile Setting out

without wanting to hijack this thread...

I am tiling a (virtually) square room, with a corner shower. approx 4sqm

gcol - would you recommend tiling this is a diamond pattern? It's obviously more difficult, what are the advantages?
Chris it all depends..... it depends how the tiles fit at the edges of the floor - as you can see, on Master of None's (apart from CAD - he's good at that) bathroom, the size of tile does not lend itself to a pleasing layout. Diamond layout hides this issue and makes the floor area look bigger becasue it draws your eyes in all directions.
Sure it's harder to lay, but in certain circumstances, it makes a huge difference.

Sponsored Links
All my tiled floors (big and small) are diamond layout and everyone comments how nice and different they look.

without wanting to hijack this thread...

I am tiling a (virtually) square room, with a corner shower. approx 4sqm

gcol - would you recommend tiling this is a diamond pattern? It's obviously more difficult, what are the advantages?
Chris it all depends..... it depends how the tiles fit at the edges of the floor - as you can see, on Master of None's (apart from CAD - he's good at that) bathroom, the size of tile does not lend itself to a pleasing layout. Diamond layout hides this issue and makes the floor area look bigger becasue it draws your eyes in all directions.
Sure it's harder to lay, but in certain circumstances, it makes a huge difference.

Hmm, will have a think about it. I'm confident I can lay it in that pattern, just not sure whether it'd look better or not. Guess i can do a dry run and compare.

Sponsored Links
All my tiled floors (big and small) are diamond layout and everyone comments how nice and different they look.

well done
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeffffffffff, behave and get back to your corner. :p

well come on!!!!! you know the score, getting in on someone elses thread with that rubbish!

people regulary comment on my extreme good looks, but do i go on about it? ;)

Chrisz
I Have already offered a draughting service posted 8/7/2008, 22:08, even though I meant it for Gcol and Jefross you are welcome to post your room shape and dimensions, tile and spacer sizes etc. I would be happy to post a drawing for Gcol to approve :D . Seriously no need for a dry run, I could knock it up in minutes.

PS Gcol
MON very catchy. I want to change my name, Its much more abbreviated any idea how?

that would be great - I will do give you the room dimensions very shortly. Thanks.

1.78m (w) x 2.02m (h) with a 900mmx900mm quadrant shower in top right. Tile 300m2, spacers 4mm

As requested.

Cross center

Tile center

I dont know which is the norm. But gcol will tell us.

PS 300m2 tiles? I hope your floor is nice and flat or you will never get em level. 1 tile would do my whole estate :LOL:

And gcol because you take the time to answer just about every reasonable post on this forum this is for you. :LOL:

Jesus wept MON, you're a pi.ss taker and no mistake. :LOL: And I like your use of the word "reasonable", I try not to bother with time wasters - you can spot em easily after a few years on here.
OK, since you asked, the top to bottom layout is fine, buit you need to shift the left/right layout to get rid of those little pieces of tile. I reckon about 1/4 of a tile to the left would be about right, but it's hard trying to visualise it in my wine addled brain at present. :confused:
You can't go a half tile to one side as you would with regular square laid tiles cause you'd end up with the same problem on the tiled row above.
If anyone's wondering why I'm here on a Friday night and not in the pub; I had some moles removed from my face/head/neck today so look like I've been mauled a bit. :LOL:

yeah, they're big ol tiles!!!

cheers for that - nice little diagram. I marked out the floor last night for a normal pattern. I have some skinny tiles next to the shower that I need to resolve. I'll just shift it all to the left slightly though I think.

gcol - qiuck question. I thought one should mark the centre of the floor and tile out from there, but I consulted my trusty diy manual and it says in there to mark out from the centre then put batterns along the wall after the last run of full tiles. Then tile from the furthest corner from the door. Which is correct?

Cheers.

ps - not sure my measurements in mm's was wholly accurate! I measured up last night and it is 178cm(w) x 220cm(h) and my spacers are 5mm.

MON - if you had nothing to do to day , a diagram with those measurements for diamond and normal pattern would be very much appreciated ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back