Complex Bathroom Tile Setting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting a tiler round tomorrow to price tiling my bathroom with Granite tiles onto Nomoreply. I have purchased the BAL APD, BAL flexible adhesive and BAL superflex grout as advise by the nice guy at Stonebocker. However I can't decide on the best setting out, so i have attached 4 possibilities in the hope you people can help me again. Or indeed think of another possibility. I wish I had the guts to give tiling a go myself but it is such a permanent and expensive job i can't.

Option 1
Option 2
Option 3
Option 4

Personally I like option 1 if it were not for that little Begger near bottom right and the fact my door joining strip would be visible in the bathroom. Also the tile joints are almost lined up with the nomoreply joints. Is this a problem?
Option 2 looks ok to me but I have no eye for these things. Can anyone advise.
Also I was thinking of cutting them myself. Is your average electric diamond tile saw up to cutting 10mm granite tiles with a little patients?

Sponsored Links
when the tiler arrives show him your plans, and listen to his opinion too.

dont worry about the joints underneath, thats not an issue.

a half decent wet saw can go through granite, but as you say with a little patience.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Jefross for you input. The Tiler has been and he recons on option 1. And by moving the pattern down 5-10mm (hidden by skirting) i will get them slightly under the door. Also thanks for clarifying that the joints are not an issue.

Gcol
I have attached a diamond pattern for your review. However with all those angles and me doing the cuttings I feel I need to quote the words of a wise man........

:rolleyes: A man's gotta know his limitations.

On a more serious note. Do the ingredients i have purchased below look correct for granite tile onto nomoreply on 22mm moisture resistant caberboard chipboard on joists at 600crs with lots of noggins?

Thanks for your help guys.

Gcol
I have attached a diamond pattern for your review. However with all those angles and me doing the cuttings I feel I need to quote the words of a wise man........

:rolleyes: A man's gotta know his limitations.
That floor would look superb in diamond. Although if you're not confident.....
If you decide to make the right decision ;) just move that layout upwards about quarter of a tile.

Now you have got me thinking Gcol. While I respect your opinion very much and I think I could do the cuts. It just looks a bit fussy to me. However being a draughtsman my world is very much horizontal and vertical and any thing at an angle just looks wrong to me. Especially in a room with angles already. Any other opinions anyone?

M.O.N. your floor area is quite small - laying in diamond pattern will make it look much bigger. This design makes it look like the walls are going away from you.
Trust me, if you think you can do this, I strongly recommend you consider it. Of course, you're right to get further opinions - because as far as you know, I could be a looney

M.O.N. ?
Looney or not, being me I had to draw it.
Is this what you mean.

PS. Because I have so little in the way of advice to offer on this forum. I would be happy to draw the odd tile layout, given the room dimensions and shape for you guys if it would be of any value.

The last pic looks a lot more even top/botttom :D

without wanting to hijack this thread...

I am tiling a (virtually) square room, with a corner shower. approx 4sqm

gcol - would you recommend tiling this is a diamond pattern? It's obviously more difficult, what are the advantages?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back