Component wiring polarity question

Any ideas on the cable config then? ;)
Well, now that I have seen both imagines, it looks very probable that, as you suggested, the old L1 and L2 do, indeed, correspond to the new P(DC+) and P'(DC+'), respectively, but I'd be interested to hear other views.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks Frodo but after filling in details it says they have no distributors (for the old).

Sponsored Links
Both units have a pair in and a pair out.
Am I misunderstanding the problem?
P is phase in P' is phase out
N is neutral in N' is neutral out.

How were the wires attached to the original unit?

Both units have a pair in and a pair out. Am I misunderstanding the problem?
As I understand it, the OP's only concern was about 'which way around' the old L1 and L2 correspond to the new P(DC+) and P'(DC+') - but, as I've said, I think it is fairly clear that L1 corresponds to P(DC+).

... and, for what it's worth, I rather doubt it actually matters, anyway.

Kind Regards, John

I may be spectacularly short of brain this evening, but I don't follow.

Both units have 4 connections. Surely all you have to do is trace the wires connected to the old unit to find out where they go and then fit them to the corresponding terminals on the new unit.

Both units have 4 connections. Surely all you have to do is trace the wires connected to the old unit to find out where they go and then fit them to the corresponding terminals on the new unit.
... assuming, that is, that they have not already been disconnected from the old one.

However, whilst that approach would work for you an I, the OP might not have found it so easy to work out 'what was what' from the labelling and diagrams on the components.

Kind Regards, John

Sure. Which is why I am saying that, from the markings on the new device, (which is marked LINE and LOAD), we know which pair is which. All that needs to be done is to trace the wires in the equipment to find out which is LINE and which is LOAD, and attach them to the correct terminals.

Sure. Which is why I am saying that, from the markings on the new device, (which is marked LINE and LOAD), we know which pair is which. All that needs to be done is to trace the wires in the equipment to find out which is LINE and which is LOAD, and attach them to the correct terminals.
As I said, you and I would do that. The fact that the OP came here to ask suggests that such an approach was not so obvious to him (and maybe may not even be as easy to implement as one might hope - e.g. if the wires 'disappear through holes').

Kind Regards, John

Surely it can't be difficult to trace the incoming supply?
Either physically or with a multimeter?
And if it is, maybe you should give up and pay someone to do it for you!

Learning starts by asking questions! And hopefully doesn't precede an electric shock or large fire:LOL:

I do still have the original part and note of original wiring config - I did have a spark check it out, he's connected it but says he's by no means sure it's correct (yet to test it o_O ).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back