Smart Light Switch Wiring (I have a neutral wire?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

A mate has given me two Wifi Smart light switches that he said he could not install at his place as he didn't have a neutral wire.

I've removed my switch on noticed that there appeared to be a neutral wire in mine. Just wanted to check if I'm right before I wire it in.

Current light switch:

Current wiring: Brown Load going in and out (with load In being joined across); Yellow Earth going to the light switch box; Blue Neutral wires loop round in the switch box.

New light switch:

I was planning to run a wire from the white Neutral wire box the N terminal and then run load to L and from L1 and L2.

It's a two gang light switch.

Thank you for the help!

Kiril

Sponsored Links
I think you have it right. To repeat

Run a blue wire from the terminal block with all the blue wires in (neutral) to the N terminal on the switch.
Mark the brown wires so you dont mix em up
Put the two brown wires that are connected to the COM terminals is the live feed in. Connect both these to the L terminal on the switch. Throw away the link wire.
You are then left with the two brown wires that are the wires to the two lights. Put one in L1 and the other in L2 on the new switch.

That should do it. I hope the back box is deep enough!

and then run load to L and from L1 and L2.

Doesnt make sense to me

It looks like a 2 gang version of this

sonoff_t1_wiring_2.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hello - sorry to revive an old thread but I have not been able to find advice elsewhere and the above is the only similar wiring I've seen to mine

I have a similar smart switch to the poster above, and lightswitch appears to have a neutral line I'm not sure how I would wire it up (one neutral line going into COM and out, not sure how that works)?

Apologies for my ignorance, I have wired a few single gang switches around the house but all had a single live wire, no neutral so this is a first)

View media item 102941View media item 102940

A blue wire is not necessarily neutral, especially in light switches which (depending on method used) usually only contain L.

in your lower picture, for example, I can see the top left blue wire is connected to the top right brown wire. And I expect the terminals at the bottom of the switch are just switched L.

If you have a multimeter, you can see if there is voltage between the browns and any of the blues. I doubt it, except that there may be a (high resistance) low-current voltage when the switch is off.

Thanks JohnD, I was hoping that might be the case as the wiring would be identical to Kirils original setup if all cables are live and makes a lot more sense.

Will check with a multimeter - if all live, I've mostly seen live only smart switches with a single live in (the attached for example) - any thoughts on how I would add the second live in? I'm assuming both into the same terminal is twice the load and ill advised

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-06-22-11-07-12-438_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-06-22-11-07-12-438_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 235
I'm assuming both into the same terminal is twice the load and ill advised

The loading on domestic lighting circuits is trivial. If you are using LED bulbs (as you should be) the current is negligible, so nothing to be concerned about.

Halogens will be more, so count them up and multiply by their wattage, but it is unlikely to matter.

yeah you don't have a neutral. It's normally in the back box if you do.

I didn't know they made double insulated singles in modern colours!

So I wired this up, and now the blue LEDs on the switch light up, but the lights themselves don't turn on. Any hints?

I'll have to unscrew tomorrow and send over a shot but as discussed above - both live into the COM terminal, one line out into L1, one into L2

Hello - sorry to revive an old thread but I have not been able to find advice elsewhere and the above is the only similar wiring I've seen to mine

I have a similar smart switch to the poster above, and lightswitch appears to have a neutral line I'm not sure how I would wire it up (one neutral line going into COM and out, not sure how that works)?

Apologies for my ignorance, I have wired a few single gang switches around the house but all had a single live wire, no neutral so this is a first)

View media item 102941View media item 102940
What idiot wired that?

yeah you don't have a neutral. It's normally in the back box if you do.

I didn't know they made double insulated (sic) singles in modern colours!
Insulated and sheathed singles have always existed in harmonised colours. They're frequently used here and can be got off the shelf in any wholesalers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back