Smart Light Switch Wiring (I have a neutral wire?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can take a picture later, but here is the diagram that matches the old and new wiring (note - L2 on the new switch does not have a terminal)

Old wiring
old Wiring.jpg

New wiring
New wiring.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Any ideas? Otherwise I'll just wire up a regular 2 gang and leave wiring alone, can't quite get my head around that setup - much appreciate any help!

Not unless you have mixed up the browns and/or blues.
The original wiring doesn't make sense.

Many an hour wasted because of faulty new products.

Fit an ordinary switch and see if it works.

You need to get that corrected. The use of blue as a phase conductor is prohibited. Also the excess copper at terminations is prohibited. Phone a REC (assuming the installatiom is within the 26-Counties).

The existing work is appalling.

There also appears to be no cpc present.

Sponsored Links
He has correctly guessed that I am in Ireland
You have the flag on your username box.

The wiring in the diagram is correct, here is a photo
Then the switch must be faulty.

upload_2019-7-6_21-27-1.png

My setup looks similar to this thread, presuming the blue line is hot (using a voltage tester, it appears to be).
Similar, maybe, but it doesn't matter. It is a very simple job - but things are not as they should be.
There is NO excuse for using blue for wire B.

Assuming things are as they look and the lights worked properly before.
You need to find out which of A and B is the live supply.
You said B was 'hot' but did you take it out of the terminal or just put a probe on while connected to the other wires?

Say B is the live, then connecting it to D will make one light work and connecting it to E will make the other light work.
That's all there is to getting these two lights to work.

With A disconnected, some other lights in the house may not work.

If A is the live then transpose A and B.

I'll get a sparks to look at it, was hoping to avoid as it's just a simple switch, but better safe than sorry
Very wise.

Please let us know what happens.

I can assure you that I am in Ireland.

Perhaps geography isn't your forte GeorgeCooke.

If you live in Derry, you have the wrong flag in your profile. Geographically you are in the island of Ireland, but not in the republic. You may wish that the brits were gone, but they are there for now.

He lives in Ireland, and Ireland is part of the United Kingdom. Has been since the 1800 Acts of Union. Just ask King George.

isn't that right.

Or is Risteard going to claim that something has changed since 1800?

Surely he will agree that I am entitled to stand by the 1800 Acts and ignore any subsequent changes that I disagree with.

Isn't that right.

If you start accepting later changes, where will it all end?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back