Composite door hinge adjustment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thought I'd ask for advice incase I mess the door up even more.

Noticed last few days there's a draft coming through the front door which we had fitted back in May last year.

Not sure if you can see in the pic but the bottom of the door looks slightly out as if it needs moving over to the right slightly.

Is it just the case of turning the top hex to move the bottom over slightly or is it the middle?

Also are these doors supposed to be quite tough to open and close we got told they were as they form a tight seal ??

Attachments

• IMG_20180302_063309.jpg
    IMG_20180302_063309.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 1,776
  • IMG_20180302_063407.jpg
    IMG_20180302_063407.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 848
  • IMG_20180302_063316.jpg
    IMG_20180302_063316.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 1,037
  • IMG_20180302_064327.jpg
    IMG_20180302_064327.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 853
Sponsored Links
Looks like a Doorstop door.
Will the company that fitted it not come out to adjust under garentee?

Basically you want a fairly even 5mm gap all around the door. If you slacken off that allen key bolt you can more the door left and right.
Dont slacken all 3 at the same time as the door will then drop (thats for up and down adjustment).

Looks like possibly the bottom of your door could do with going a couple of mm over towards the handle side.

Where is the draft actually coming from though? Hinge side, Handle side, top bottom etc?

Looks like a Doorstop door.
Will the company that fitted it not come out to adjust under garentee?

Basically you want a fairly even 5mm gap all around the door. If you slacken off that allen key bolt you can more the door left and right.
Dont slacken all 3 at the same time as the door will then drop (thats for up and down adjustment).

Looks like possibly the bottom of your door could do with going a couple of mm over towards the handle side.

Where is the draft actually coming from though? Hinge side, Handle side, top bottom etc?

Drafts coming from the right side just after the door handle down,I suppose I could ring the company but just thought I'd save time by having ago myself

Do I need to slacked the middle with an Allen key a few turns then turn the top bolt in the direction I want the door to go,then tighten up the middle bolt again?

If its on the handle side it should just be a compression adjustment which is done on the locking strip in the frame.

Adjusting the hinges may help the door operate smother though, I would just call them back. Good opportunity to see how they are going to treat you with any future guarantee issues

Sponsored Links
So how to move the door over at the bottom.

Going to try this today as i cant see them coming out in this weather until monday earliest
2e30uwx.jpg

Do i use these to move the door over to the right ?

zyj2hh.jpg

Or would i need to unscrew the hinge and move it over a little

211jdoz.jpg

If its on the lock side you have a draught then cure it with the frame keeps on the lock side, leave hinge side alone, open the door and take a photo of the hook keeps on the frame, these should be allen key adjustable in and out

If its on the lock side you have a draught then cure it with the frame keeps on the lock side, leave hinge side alone, open the door and take a photo of the hook keeps on the frame, these should be allen key adjustable in and out

Right so i've had a mess with the keeps as much as i can move them back (pic was taken before i moved them)

2mc61kw.jpg

Or do i need to mess with the allen key above and below the hooks?

iwksok.jpg

You can see the gap at the bottom right side of the door from this pic the middle and top you cant see the hooks

2qbzzhy.jpg

The hook and dead bolt on the door are fixed and can't be moved so the adjusment is on the frame keep, i assume you've loosened the screws and pushed the tabs back towards the outside, this adjustment just gives better compression on the outer gasket, now that i can see a clearer picture it looks like the door needs to be shifted over to the right, this is now done with the hinges following Gazmans instructions

Yep loosened the screws and pushed them towards the outside.

I've quarter & even fully turned the middle allen key slot but i've got zero movement on the top part,i must be doing something wrong as i'm having to apply a lot of force with nothing giving.

I'll give the company a call monday it was fitted back in May

Vid here
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XAzWJyd2jRrOGZ6g2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back