composite door into exsisting frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a horrible pvc front door, (think sand blasted animals on the glass!!) and would dearly love to change just the door for a nice composite one with less of a safari feel.

Are the hinges in a standard postion, and so could i potentially buy just the door and leave the existing frame, which btw has a small 2'x2' window to one side as part of it. Any other snags for this this proposed venture?

Sponsored Links
plastic doors usually have a weird lay-on hinge, not ordinary brass butts, and overlap the frame.

Put up a pic of your door, show the hinges and lock and frame.

Sponsored Links
Asa far as i can see, those hinges and the frame will be designed to fit a plastic door. It might be possible to tailor a wooden or fibreglass door to fit, but it doesn't look straightforward to me. Would you be willing to change the frame as well?

May be one of the door enthusiasts will know a way.

That does look like a pretty stock door. May even find one of the irritating PVC people will be able to sell you one, or the B&Q's of this world might carry one in stock.
Another source could be jeldwen [www.jeld-wen.co.uk] who make a range of nice composite doors.
Only issue with the Jeldwen door may be hinge fitment which could be designed for butt hinges. They are available through Travis Perkins amongst others.
If you have a standard metric opening size [probable if the doorset is an original fitment at build stage] it should be perfectly feasible to find a range of styles available ex-stock as a direct replacement.

great info thanks for your help to all. any one else reading this post that has encountered a lay on hinge composite door that may work i'd love to hear supplier/ manufacturer. Cheers again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back