Compressing Rockwool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone knows what exactly happens if you compress standard mineral wool such as rockwool into a smaller cavity.

So if you have a 200mm thick roll and squeeze it into a 100mm cavity.

They say it reduces performance, but does anyone know to what extent? Are there any other problems associated with fitting it into a tighter space?

Thank you.[/b]

Sponsored Links
For heat insulation, compressing it will remove a lot of the trapped air, so the performance will be significantly reduced.

For sound insulation, compressing it increases the density, so performance will be improved.

I believe that if you compress 200 mm into 100 mm then you will have the thermal efficiency of 100 mm.

I believe that if you compress 200 mm into 100 mm then you will have the thermal efficiency of 100 mm.
yep the same here the trapped air is 95% off the benefit 200 mm to 100 may give you 105mm worth call it half

Sponsored Links
That's really interesting - thank you everyone. Also that is exactly the figure I was after. Looks like I can't cheap out and use the mineral wool instead of Celotex in a 75mm cavity if I want it to stay warm!

yep the same here the trapped air is 95% off the benefit 200 mm to 100 may give you 105mm worth call it half

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back