Compression fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to fit a new shower that connects to the mains water via a 15mm compression fitting. The old shower had a screw thread so i have had to buy a new fitting. The query i have is that the new shower connection is not threaded but smooth with nothing for the compression to screw onto, is it called a compression because it compresses and does not actually screw onto its connection but just tightens ? . However the compression fitting does tighten on the new showers smooth connector...I went into my local Focus DIY with the showers book and none of them were to sure (shock).

Cheers

Sponsored Links
bit bigger so I could see it :LOL:

What does the instruction say.

What shower make & model

Sponsored Links
It says word for word the following.

the inlet fitting is designed to enter a compression fitting only. DO NOT use push fit connectors as full engagement cannot be guarenteed. DO NOT use excessive force when making these connections..

Triton rapide 2 plus

Thanks for the link :LOL: I think I know what a compression fitting is :LOL:

Buy a compression straight or bent connector and fit it over the spigot and do the nut up.

I noticed that "the natural handyman" advises against using metal olives (compression rings) when using comp. fittings with plastic pipe. He says use plastic olives (which don't exist here in UK as far as I know). I know the site is US based, but does anyone think he has a point?

them cheap plastic valves that come with the cisterns have plastic O rings :cool:

Does the US handyman have a point.... well their tiles fall off and their O rings fail...and that`s just NASA:cool:

Na unless you intend to launch your shower into space I should'nt worry about it

:LOL:

Just been over to TT (desperate I know, but what else should plumbers do on Sunday afternoons?) and noticed that the "knowitall" gag's been done! Probably years ago! Oh well, I'm a bit new to this posting lark, so thanks for not mentioning how slow on the uptake I was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back