Compression joint leaking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question, I've made many compression joints over the last few years, but having made a few this weekend, 1 of them is seeping, a few drips per day. I used a copper olive, and some boss white on a 22mm copper pipe! It seems crazy. Anyone had this before?

Sponsored Links
I would lubricate the olive and screw thread with silicone grease. That lubricates the olive and thread and applies more pressure to the olive. That always works for me.

I dont encourage applying joint sealing paste as that makes it difficult to dismantle.

But winding 5-6 turns of PTFE tape will also seal it an ddoes not affect taking it apart.

Tony

Thanks for your help :) I usually use boss white, but to be honest my boss white is "hardening"! so time for a new tub. I have found that brass olives are poor compared to copper ones that seem to compress better!

Sponsored Links
Brass olives are far cheaper to make than soft copper!

But I would still like you to stop using joint paste, its not only unecessary but makes ti a right pig to take apart!

There is always a possibility that one day I might have to work on your joints!

Tony

I always use a little plumbers mait on the olive, non potable of course.

Always works for me, easy to take apart.

Brass olives are far cheaper to make than soft copper!

But I would still like you to stop using joint paste, its not only unecessary but makes ti a right pig to take apart!

There is always a possibility that one day I might have to work on your joints!

Tony

Every proper/competent plumber uses a suitable jointing compound on px fittings :rolleyes:

I use jointing compound on olives, it generally ensures a leak free union first time. In my experience, the olive can still be removed years later if necessary, because it hasn't been over tightened and compressed into the pipe.
IMO, half the problem lies in the fact that most imported olives have little or no quality control as they arrive by the container load, and compared to the old ones made in Blighty.......little comparable weight or substance.

If using a copper olive then no jointing compound should be needed!

Nor should brass olives but their composition is so cheap now that they are too hard to give a good seal in all cases. I still dont use any compound on them apart from silicone to lubricate them!

Tony

Applications and Uses

Conex Compression fittings are especially advantageous in retrofit plumbing schemes, where space is confined and/or the use of heat must be avoided. They are available in 6-108mm and are suitable for connecting tubes in accordance with EN 1057 and many other standards including ISO 274.

Conex unique ribbed capnuts are supplied in 15-28mm. Sizes 6-12 and 35-54mm are supplied with octagonal capnuts. Fittings in 66.7-108mm incorporate loose compression plates, where tightening is through six 3/8" BSW nuts and allthreads. PTFE tape is not required for the installation process.

who said anything about ptfe you nutter :LOL:

I use jet blue, never had a problem taking it apart. You need to grow some :LOL:

op, dismantle and clean you may have some swarf or some debris in there.

. PTFE tape is not required for the installation process.

Usually true, because the copper olives are soft annealed and should form a seal on their own. If you have to undo the joint, the olive will be work hardened. If you don't want to replace the olive jointing compound or PTFE tape will seal it.

I did not write that ( as such )! Its from the Conex site and their advice for using their compression fittings.

Strangely, so many others here think they know better than the manufacturers!

I dont, but thats based on my personal experience!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back